What's new

Sitting down in the workplace?

I work as Security Officer for a security firm, and I’m contracted out to a government office.

As an officer, we’re expected to stand all day and we’re not allowed so sit down. We have to stay standing at ease.

Standing for long periods of time has been proven to cause physical and mental strain, thus making your performance worse than if you were allowed so sit in a chair.

Obviously there are some jobs like construction or fitness that it is simply not possible, but where it is possible - should it not be allowed?

I work with the firm that we are meant to walk and roll cylinders for 3 hours in a day. That job has conditioned my mind to not sitting down even when I feel like I should. The thing also about some jobs is that you can never do it sitting down.

Most times, I feel exhausted and really weak after each time I am back from work as a result of not having time to sit while at work and that can be frustrating especially when you had other activities that requires physical energy to complete at home.

I work with the firm that we are meant to walk and roll cylinders for 3 hours in a day. That job has conditioned my mind to not sitting down even when I feel like I should. The thing also about some jobs is that you can never do it sitting down.

Most times, I feel exhausted and really weak after each time I am back from work as a result of not having time to sit while at work and that can be frustrating especially when you had other activities that requires physical energy to complete at home.

Sitting down for long periods can exhaust you and it could speed up the ageing process as well. I think this is also one of the main reasons why many people are suffering from premature ageing. People who work hard and engage in physical activities are the ones who stay healthy and fit. So, sitting for a long time is not something that I would prefer. Workplaces should also consider the condition of health of their employees as well.

Sitting down for long periods can exhaust you and it could speed up the ageing process as well. I think this is also one of the main reasons why many people are suffering from premature ageing. People who work hard and engage in physical activities are the ones who stay healthy and fit. So, sitting for a long time is not something that I would prefer. Workplaces should also consider the condition of health of their employees as well.

Sitting down at the office can be detrimental to one's health especially when you do it for longer period during the day. This is why it is necessary to find time to exercise at home or in the gym, if you always sit down more at the office.

Dont you think that can be of great benefits too?

Sitting down at the office can be detrimental to one's health especially when you do it for longer period during the day. This is why it is necessary to find time to exercise at home or in the gym, if you always sit down more at the office.

Dont you think that can be of great benefits too?

I am a freelancer and this is why I have to sit for a long time. i usually take breaks in between in order to help me deal with the stress. I usually lie down while taking a break. This allows me to gather energy in order to work harder. Sleeping early during the night time also helps me a lot and I feel fresh the next day. Taking care of health while on a job is also as necessary as making money.

I can never sit down for 2 hours without pausing whatever I'm working on and take a break while I walk about for some minutes. There was a day I sat down for 3 or 4 hours without break, I started having back pains at work and it got worst when I reached home. I took pills for 3 days before it stopped.

Last edited:

Wait, you mean like constant rolling of cylinders for straight 3 hours every day? Are the cylinders filled with gas or whatever they fill it with or it's just empty cylinders? I'm not sure if I would able to take on such kind of work unless they are paying big.

Wait, you mean like constant rolling of cylinders for straight 3 hours every day? Are the cylinders filled with gas or whatever they fill it with or it's just empty cylinders? I'm not sure if I would able to take on such kind of work unless they are paying big.

It is not constantly doing it for 3 hours. The hours you work have breaks in-between when you rest. The cylinders are filled with oxygen gas and they weigh the same whether it has contents or not.

The payment is not that encouraging, but it is better than lazying around without doing anything.

I can never down for 2 hours without pausing whatever I'm working on and take a break while I walk about for some minutes. There was a day I sat down for 3 or 4 hours without break, I started having back pains at work and it got worst when I reached home. I took pills for 3 days before it stopped.

I think that even the period of 2 hours is quite high. Some studies suggest that you should not sit for 30 minutes in a row. However, I think that even the period of 30 minutes is also quite lengthy period. This may have a really bad effect on your health. So, taking break and moving around after every 15 minutes would be better.

It is not constantly doing it for 3 hours. The hours you work have breaks in-between when you rest. The cylinders are filled with oxygen gas and they weigh the same whether it has contents or not.

The payment is not that encouraging, but it is better than lazying around without doing anything.

You should just keep doing your best working for the company and also be actively looking for a better alternative because any kind of work that get you to put in a lot of effort in doing your work and still end up not giving you a good pay is not worth wasting your time on that kind of job for a very long time.

I think that even the period of 2 hours is quite high. Some studies suggest that you should not sit for 30 minutes in a row. However, I think that even the period of 30 minutes is also quite lengthy period. This may have a really bad effect on your health. So, taking break and moving around after every 15 minutes would be better.
Too much sitting down affects your tail bone. It should never be encouraged because it puts your body at risk and you will get fatigued easily when you stand to do something because you've too used to sitting.

You should just keep doing your best working for the company and also be actively looking for a better alternative because any kind of work that get you to put in a lot of effort in doing your work and still end up not giving you a good pay is not worth wasting your time on that kind of job for a very long time.

Many employees usually look for the best alternative when they are no longer satisfied with the job. I would personally prefer a job that would allow me to stand or sit whenever I want. Many companies should allow you to do that because sitting for too long is very bad for health and bosses should understand this.

Many employees usually look for the best alternative when they are no longer satisfied with the job. I would personally prefer a job that would allow me to stand or sit whenever I want. Many companies should allow you to do that because sitting for too long is very bad for health and bosses should understand this.
Working for a company isn't a punishment which is why they should have flexible policy with how their workers are expected to behave when they are on duty. If workers doesn't have such freedom, it's a wrong thing to put them through.

Working for a company isn't a punishment which is why they should have flexible policy with how their workers are expected to behave when they are on duty. If workers doesn't have such freedom, it's a wrong thing to put them through.

Well, not all the companies understand this. I have worked for a company that made it feel like a punishment. It was a kind of workplace where we had to sit for a long period of time. We could stand up whenever we want. However, if the supervisor found you standing for a few minutes, he would eventually come and ask about why you are standing in the first place.

Well, not all the companies understand this. I have worked for a company that made it feel like a punishment. It was a kind of workplace where we had to sit for a long period of time. We could stand up whenever we want. However, if the supervisor found you standing for a few minutes, he would eventually come and ask about why you are standing in the first place.
I will never for any company which is going to use me like a horse till I drop dead. If they don't have any room for enabling good working conditions for their workers, I will resign from the job. Working is not a do or die affair. I will walk away with my life still intact.

I will never for any company which is going to use me like a horse till I drop dead. If they don't have any room for enabling good working conditions for their workers, I will resign from the job. Working is not a do or die affair. I will walk away with my life still intact.

Certain no worker should be treated badly and I think that some countries have laws that prohibit the employers from making their employees work for lengthy time periods. The main problem is the fact that many people have to work for such companies because they may not be able to find a good job due to a lack of employment opportunities.

Certain no worker should be treated badly and I think that some countries have laws that prohibit the employers from making their employees work for lengthy time periods. The main problem is the fact that many people have to work for such companies because they may not be able to find a good job due to a lack of employment opportunities.
There are some countries where these laws won't do much for workers because the rich/business owners will bribe those involved. The best thing which you can do for yourself is walk away. I've never heard any company forced any staff to stay on a job the staff doesn't want to.

There are some countries where these laws won't do much for workers because the rich/business owners will bribe those involved. The best thing which you can do for yourself is walk away. I've never heard any company forced any staff to stay on a job the staff doesn't want to.

There are many companies that do require you to sign a contract before you could start the job. These companies usually hire foreigners because they bound them for a specific time. This means that workers would be forced to work under harsh circumstances. So, not allowing them to sit down or move around is one of the very few things and it is nothing compared to what those workers may have to endure.

There are many companies that do require you to sign a contract before you could start the job. These companies usually hire foreigners because they bound them for a specific time. This means that workers would be forced to work under harsh circumstances. So, not allowing them to sit down or move around is one of the very few things and it is nothing compared to what those workers may have to endure.
Contracts can be rendered null and void when the a party involved is no longer interested in seeing it out. In this case, I don't think even with a contract signed for work, a company will force you to work when you want to end the contract as long as they never paid you money to work for a specific time. If they did, you can return the money to be free from the contract.

Contracts can be rendered null and void when the a party involved is no longer interested in seeing it out. In this case, I don't think even with a contract signed for work, a company will force you to work when you want to end the contract as long as they never paid you money to work for a specific time. If they did, you can return the money to be free from the contract.

Well, in this case, the contract may not be declared as invalid. If an employee has signed a contract, then they would have to work for the company and they may not be able to go back to their home country. This does happen in many places, especially when the company hires foreign workers.

Well, in this case, the contract may not be declared as invalid. If an employee has signed a contract, then they would have to work for the company and they may not be able to go back to their home country. This does happen in many places, especially when the company hires foreign workers.
I've not seen these kind of working contract before. I'm good at examining any kind of work contract in order to make sure u will not be signing what will hold me in chains when the conditions isn't in my favor. If I'm giving this kind of contract you're talking about, I won't sign it.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back