Why is .io such a popular domain?

cowantussie

Resident Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes
The main reason for this is that in computer science “IO” is commonly used as an abbreviation for Input/Output. io is used by a much broader audience than just those in the British Indian Ocean Territory and so they treat it as a generic domain. A two-character domain means a shorter URL

btaliat

Seasoned Veteran
Verified Poster
BizNotes
To my own surprise, I have never come across such a domain. I am still in conversant with the popular domains. The reason may be I don't really surf internet for new domains.

cafediscussions

Good-Person

Seasoned Veteran
Verified Poster
BizNotes
One word "hype". There is a lot of hype of some of the extensions. IO, net, LY, MS etc. A lot of them are adjusted with the names in such way that those domains tend to cost a lot in the market. I have noticed that some of the times brands are also adjusted to the domain name. And like say bitly etc you can guess it is more or less branding.

A few years ago "io" domains were not popular at all. The "io" domain has only recently started gaining popularity. I have also noticed that these domains are also being used by many unprofessional sites and many HYIP programs. I think this is the reason why many people would not trust a site with that domain extensions.

Nomad

Madly Diligent
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Dot io is an expensive domain, you will have t pay $35 to register and renew every year. Since it is expensive some people and businesses decided to use it show their value.

Ralphjoe

Madly Diligent
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Most of .com domain name are reserved so it is not pratical to still limited to .com domain as extensions are great solution except if domain name is watermarketed then copyrights prevents to sell same domain even with .store extension.
This .io form of domain name extension is actually getting so popular and I will say that after .com .io is actually the next in terms of popularity.

Ub40

Addicted Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Personally, I am not sure if they are that popular as you stated above. Maybe, maybe not. But i do know that the site owners have reason(s) for using such domain extension as different sites are created for different purposes. The reason I don't know and is best known to them. It is just my opinion.

Justin

Seasoned Veteran
Verified Poster
BizNotes
The only possible reason I can see is it is expensive and some people want to brand themselves through expensive services. They want to show they are good because they are paying more for services

Nomad

Madly Diligent
Verified Poster
BizNotes
These domains are currently being used by blockchain projects, that's why dot io domains seem to be very popular these days, but I have never taken interest on this domain

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock