What's new

Why is .io such a popular domain?

The main reason for this is that in computer science “IO” is commonly used as an abbreviation for Input/Output. io is used by a much broader audience than just those in the British Indian Ocean Territory and so they treat it as a generic domain. A two-character domain means a shorter URL

To my own surprise, I have never come across such a domain. I am still in conversant with the popular domains. The reason may be I don't really surf internet for new domains.

One word "hype". There is a lot of hype of some of the extensions. IO, net, LY, MS etc. A lot of them are adjusted with the names in such way that those domains tend to cost a lot in the market. I have noticed that some of the times brands are also adjusted to the domain name. And like say bitly etc you can guess it is more or less branding.

A few years ago "io" domains were not popular at all. The "io" domain has only recently started gaining popularity. I have also noticed that these domains are also being used by many unprofessional sites and many HYIP programs. I think this is the reason why many people would not trust a site with that domain extensions.

Most of .com domain name are reserved so it is not pratical to still limited to .com domain as extensions are great solution except if domain name is watermarketed then copyrights prevents to sell same domain even with .store extension.
This .io form of domain name extension is actually getting so popular and I will say that after .com .io is actually the next in terms of popularity.

Personally, I am not sure if they are that popular as you stated above. Maybe, maybe not. But i do know that the site owners have reason(s) for using such domain extension as different sites are created for different purposes. The reason I don't know and is best known to them. It is just my opinion.

The only possible reason I can see is it is expensive and some people want to brand themselves through expensive services. They want to show they are good because they are paying more for services

io domain name extension has been common in recent time. But I don't see it as common as com domain extension. I think the domain name extension is good for some type of websites

The .io is more technologically oriented and this is why we get to see so many people use it for tech related websites and services too.

Yet to know much about such names but probably because it may be cheaper than others or maybe it has some qualities that make it more unique and useful than others.

I do not see a sharp difference in the use of the .io domain name and the rest. The only thing Is the strategy and the founders strategy to advertise his services. The .io is just a domain extension like any other domain name. Like you have rightly said, it's popular with game sites and I also found out that it's popular with the link shorteners.

Someone said it's the hype, and honestly you say it's very popular but I can't say that's not really the case too because of all the domains I know it's not that popular compared to some that are more

These domains are currently being used by blockchain projects, that's why dot io domains seem to be very popular these days, but I have never taken interest on this domain
It becomes more popular when blockchain started using it and I have seen some Airdrops site that are using and they are legit. Like Airdrops.io.

I have come across many domains that end in io in recent weeks. But I never visited any. I almost confused it with .co. I heard domains in that manner are bad. I checked one out last week and it was not working.

Why is it that .io domains are so popular as of late? It's like each video game site uses the domain, and every new startup uses it. What is the reason so many people are going for that domain? Is there some kind of reasoning behind it? Or is it just a simple domain that works?

in my country the .io domain is not so popular, I haven't seen much. I found it funny and took a domain with my name and the .io extension. In my country it also means "Me": D

I don't think there is anything special about the domain. It is just different on unique and just like you said a lot of startups, online resource are adopting it.

i.o domain is becoming increasingly popular among tech startups, web applications, and SaaS startups. Google considers . … io is a country-specific TLD for the British Indian Ocean Territory, but because it has become so popular and widely used among tech companies and startups,

The . io domain is a great choice for tech startups, as in most cases it is related to the tech world due to the association with input/output. … io domain hacks can help you invent a catchy name that is unavailable with .com

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back