What's new

Recovery of rent from ex-tenants years ago?

Well i don't know how they pay in rentage in your country,in my country you pay upfront,and its mostly yearly,and when it expire you are given notification.I think your landlord was suppose to give you a notification to that effect if you are owing him before you even moved out of the house,he has to show evidence to that effect.

If he can legally prove that you are owing the said sum and he has evidence to back it up, then he has a strong case if he decides to press the matter in court. On the other hand, if you have receipts of up to date payment then you have no case to worry about.

Recovering of rent owed might be a bit difficult in my country. The best time to recover rent owed is when the tenant is still making use of your property. You can take legal actions but once you notice he's not turning up, it'll be better you knock him out of your house

Opps,this sounds totally absurd,I consider that as an act of theft,I think you have to take necessary action on that, because I have never seen that happen.

Well it is actually not very easy and most times it is always hard to track them down and most of them can flee the state therefore making It very hard for them to be traced by anyone

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.
You have the right to sue him for accusing you for what you do not owe.
That is what some landlords do; you are about to vacate their property, and they will start talking about maintenance fee and even packing fee.

Recovering of rent owed might be a bit difficult in my country. The best time to recover rent owed is when the tenant is still making use of your property. You can take legal actions but once you notice he's not turning up, it'll be better you knock him out of your house
This is a common practice In my location and probably other parts of the country. Once a tenant refuses to pay their rent after some time, the landlord or caretaker would either throw their things outside and lock the house or would lock their belongings inside the house. Have you seen such cases before?

This greatly depends on the fact of the matter,are you owing or not.if no,then get a law suite and defend yourself in court,I think that is the way to go about it
I've never really seen a situation whereby a tenant is allowed to live in a house without doing all the paperwork that is related to be becoming a tenants, so everything can easily be sorted out once the paperwork is consulted.

I think you have a good stand legally, how can your formal landlord ask you to pay rents from years ago. Although if he has proof that you didn't actually pay the rent, then you don't have a good stand legally.

Does your landlord have a legal documents signed by both parties backing up his claims? If not, he doesn't have a case against you in the court of law.
Well, to me he doesn't have to have any legal document. As far as he's issued out receipt and your rent is due, even the court of law would not even think twice of expunging such a tenant

It can be very difficult to recover debt from people over here and this include from the tenant who isn't longer occupy your property. This is the reason why it is very important to always asked for advance payment.

This kind of arguments you not even be arriving in the first place because it is quite obvious that he must have given you a payment received after you have done the payment. If it was done with your bank account then you complete the account statement.

It can be very difficult to recover debt from people over here and this include from the tenant who isn't longer occupy your property. This is the reason why it is very important to always asked for advance payment.
It can really be difficult to retrieve such payments from tenants especially if it has been due for a long time. I think there are courts or tribunals where cases pertaining to rent issues are always resolved

It can really be difficult to retrieve such payments from tenants especially if it has been due for a long time. I think there are courts or tribunals where cases pertaining to rent issues are always resolved
Another thing is that the court and tribunal usually sympathetic towards day tenant if it happens that they have been paying rent regularly before. I think this can be overturned if the landlord hire a competent lawyer.

I think it depends on some issues. Did you sign any agreement paper with him on a duration you're to stay? If yes,it will be binding as a contract whether you stayed up to the duration or not. If no,he has no legal advantage over you.

Another thing is that the court and tribunal usually sympathetic towards day tenant if it happens that they have been paying rent regularly before. I think this can be overturned if the landlord hire a competent lawyer.
It might not actually turn out quite well for either party, so the best thing to do is to try to resolve the issue amicably without having to go to the tribunal or any third party.

This appears to me to be a case of theft. Why is he going to ask you for money after he has moved out of his apartment? He wants to double-check his payment records to see if you owe me anything.

It might not actually turn out quite well for either party, so the best thing to do is to try to resolve the issue amicably without having to go to the tribunal or any third party.
I like the last option you mentioned in your comment. I like it when two parties come to the round table and iron things out and make a way out without having to go to the court of law to settle matters.

I like the last option you mentioned in your comment. I like it when two parties come to the round table and iron things out and make a way out without having to go to the court of law to settle matters.
Yes, that is simply the best way to take. But I believe they must have tried to negotiate between themselves first to no success before taking the matter higher authorities.

Yes, that is simply the best way to take. But I believe they must have tried to negotiate between themselves first to no success before taking the matter higher authorities.
In order to reach lasting solution on the negotiation table, both parties need to compromise on their term. this will make it pretty much easier for them to come with a solid agreement between both parties.

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back