What's new

Recovery of rent from ex-tenants years ago?

Have you moved out of the place? Was anything like that in the document? Did you at any point default on payments? These should be looked into.
From your story, you look likely to win but involve a lawyer to ensure the finer details are looked into

That's really funny my friend, your landlord or former landlord should have just let go. But in my country you still owe him under the law though.

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.
Under Nigerian law a landlord may recover arrears of rent from his tenant even though the tenant no longer occupies his property anymore.

There is really no time limitation. All the landlord needs to do is to show proof in court by oral and documentary evidence that the tenant owes the amount he is claiming.

If the court finds in favour of the landlord, the tenant will have to pay the arrears, usually via instalment payments.

I think it depends on some issues. Did you sign any agreement paper with him on a duration you're to stay? If yes,it will be binding as a contract whether you stayed up to the duration or not. If no,he has no legal advantage over you.
This is very rare for one 2 recovering from ex-tenant except he or she takes that tenant to court and there is a binding agreement between them before he can be able to get back that money.

No matter where you stay, this is a case of both parties having evidence. If he can prove it, then you must be ready to defend yourself too.

This is very rare for one 2 recovering from ex-tenant except he or she takes that tenant to court and there is a binding agreement between them before he can be able to get back that money.
Yes landlords over there even globally usually have a binding agreement with tenants as to the duration of stay and money involved and they pay rent monthly so it depends on what they agreed on.

As you describe the laws are different, however, if you have already left the property the case should be closed, the landlord loses any rights over the tenant. The only way to force you to pay any amount is if you have reached a written agreement on an outstanding debt, before handing over the keys to the property.
And that is another valid point there. If this is been so long a time and there was nothing like any written note of an outstanding payment, you owe no one anything at all

People just cannot say you have dues to clear, they should come up with proofs that shows they owe you money. You, on the other hands, should also need proofs that shows you have paid the rent. Case closed.

People cannot just accuse you just like that without them having an evidence of what you have done with them is better for you to report it to a lawyer to understand how to go about it.

Do they have any legal proof or any contract? If yes, you have to pay but if not, there is no way they can claim that! The fact is how can anyone ask for that is not legal!

Based on my country statue laws, a case like this, both parties would have to get representative in court and provide evidence to back up their claim but normally the court believes you must have resolved with your tenant before he leaves.

Seriously the truth of the matter is that there are some landlords that will always look for opportunity to exploit the tenants in such a way that they won't imitate them into being thrown out of house.

Seriously the truth of the matter is that there are some landlords that will always look for opportunity to exploit the tenants in such a way that they won't imitate them into being thrown out of house.
It goes both ways, I know a particular house that some of the tenants don't pay house rent and still stir trouble for the care takers which is why having a legal backing helps eliminate all that

Hi Alexander, you are not keeping us updated on what is going on, at least we would like to know more about what the man is trying to do,is everything now okay ? Is the man is not troubling you again ?

Well, I think you should look for your backups:
- Lease agreement (for how much he rented you the place).
- Payment receipts (proof that you don't owe).

By doing this you should not have any problems
One can be able to recover range from ex-tenant if there is a court order of stand without these I'm not sure you can be able to recover that.

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.
Well, landlords are not the same depending on location.In Nigeria, landlords won't allow you to owe them such amount of money before they will send you out.

If you have substantial evidence to back up your claims, you will definitely win the case.

It goes both ways, I know a particular house that some of the tenants don't pay house rent and still stir trouble for the care takers which is why having a legal backing helps eliminate all that

Seriously, it's something that is actually very attainable because there are so many people who are troublesome in such a way that they would look for a way to always try to dupe whoever they are doing anything with.

Your landlord doesn't have a case that can be proven in the court of law since there is no written agreement that backed his claim. You just need to ask him to charge you to court.

Your landlord doesn't have a case that can be proven in the court of law since there is no written agreement that backed his claim. You just need to ask him to charge you to court.

Seriously, if there is no legal documentation that states that the tenant is actually owing the landlord then there is no need for the landlord to push it because he or she will definitely lose.

Seriously, if there is no legal documentation that states that the tenant is actually owing the landlord then there is no need for the landlord to push it because he or she will definitely lose.
It is actually a lost case and I do not see the reason why he need to be afraid for the case. He only need to ask the landlord to charge him to court.

There is definitely not going to be any case to worry about if you have all your payment received of those is intact and you can even do this by generating a bank statement.

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back