What's new

Recovery of rent from ex-tenants years ago?

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.
I believe if it is not true that you owe him the $1,500 plus then in the court you will surely win. Here in our country, there are laws regarding rentals. Even now that we are in a pandemic situation, our government is discouraging landlords not to expel the renters for not paying because of humanitarian reasons.

That's a huge amount. Well in Nigeria, landlords don't wait for you to owe them a month rent before they send you an eviction note.

If he doesn't have any evidence to his claim, then it's something you don't have to worry about but if he does, then that's some tight road.

He either chase you out of the house and forget about the unpaid rent or he takes you to court in which you will have an upper hand in the sense that the court will ask you some questions and also allow you to pay back for as long as you like, depending on the amount you choose to deposit daily, monthly or yearly.

Does your landlord have a legal documents signed by both parties backing up his claims? If not, he doesn't have a case against you in the court of law.

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.
Well it depends on the law of the land, in some country the law court might over look it considering the fact that he let go of the rent for so many years before coming to ask, but in a corrupt country it depends on who you know and how smart you can bribe your way

This greatly depends on the fact of the matter,are you owing or not.if no,then get a law suite and defend yourself in court,I think that is the way to go about it

@Alexander so much of it depends on..... Do you really owe him all that money?? 😳😂 If not, then there isn’t a darn thing he can do. He can try to come up with phony paperwork but your signature would need to be on it too. If he’s just trying to scam ex-tenants out of some $$, he won’t be very successful. Lawyers and even judges know what true lease/rent paperwork looks like and if he were to pursue the scam any further and then threatens to take you to court, then yes, get a lawyer. Just to prove what a fake he is.
Now, if you really do owe him the $$, a landlord can request your full security deposit back and then sue you for the rest that you owe.
If he can find you. 🤫😏

To me this is just a case of theft. Why will he be asking you for money after moving out of his apartment. He needs to check out his payment records to confirm if you are owing me or not.

I believe law is the same every where in the world but it depends on the people upholding the law, is there any legal document saying that you are owing him? if theres none, then theres no way he can win the case without any legal bindings.

Based on my country statue laws, a case like this, both parties would have to get representative in court and provide evidence to back up their claim but normally the court believes you must have resolved with your tenant before he leaves.

Based on my country statue laws, a case like this, both parties would have to get representative in court and provide evidence to back up their claim but normally the court believes you must have resolved with your tenant before he leaves.
Going to the court and you both stating your case in front of the judge's with concrete evidence can save you if you are not guilty and that's why its adviseable to always keeps the written document and receipts you got from your landlord safe always.

In my country, there are laws that protect both tenants and landlords. In this case, the landlord needs to have evidence that you actually owe him the money. Then in the court, you will be asked to pay it back.

I really don't think you should actually take that kind of landlord serious. I don't see any reason why a landlord will claim someone is owning him after he or she can't retrieve the money when the tenant was in his house

For you to have moved out already, it means both parties had nothing more to do again. The claim of $1500 seems strange. Here the tenant will not be allowed to move out if he is still owing.

This is a delayed collection of rent which the landlord should present solid proof that the ex-tenant had an outstanding unpaid rent. In our country the lease contract states the term and other conditions including the eviction. Once a tenant is evicted for non-payment then he is free of his debts if he leaves the rented place on the agreed date.

Does your landlord have a legal documents signed by both parties backing up his claims? If not, he doesn't have a case against you in the court of law.
That is right. Legal document will really tell the truth of the matter. If just by words and no written proof that you owe him then it's just a hearsay that you don't need to be bothered by it.

Firs is why coming up now, why not come up years ago or did he just realize you owe him now? Then again does he have records to back his statement? And am sure you yourself you have your receipts

I'm sorry, you said former landlords (therefore ex), but if now the owner is you, I think you have already paid the ransom. So it doesn't seem right to ask you for further money!
But having said that, I'm not the one making the laws.

I'm sorry, you said former landlords (therefore ex), but if now the owner is you, I think you have already paid the ransom. So it doesn't seem right to ask you for further money!
But having said that, I'm not the one making the laws.
Most people may be able to recover such money but others will not be able to recover such money if there is no paper agreement between the tenant and the landlord.

I think it depends on some issues. Did you sign any agreement paper with him on a duration you're to stay? If yes,it will be binding as a contract whether you stayed up to the duration or not. If no,he has no legal advantage over you.

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back