What's new

Recovery of rent from ex-tenants years ago?

I think that there is a specific time period that is associated with these sort of claims, and therefore i think that it is necessary to claim the rent within that time. If this is a few years later then this may have already passed and as such there will be no legal standing for this case. Furthermore, I think that if you have proof of transactions from your time there as well as if he lacks proof of this missing payment then you have nothing to worry about at all.

Most people may be able to recover such money but others will not be able to recover such money if there is no paper agreement between the tenant and the landlord.
But I believe that even a paper agreement between the tenant and the landlord should still be signed by a notary or a legal person. Otherwise, in my opinion, it too would have value as .... a simple piece of paper.
What do you think?

The question should be , do you owe the accused rent ? , Is their any evidence that can imprecate or vindicate you ? . The answer to your fate on the claims depends on the answers to the above questions

The question should be , do you owe the accused rent ? , Is their any evidence that can imprecate or vindicate you ? . The answer to your fate on the claims depends on the answers to the above questions
I think that even with evidence it can be circumstantial in these sort of situations because both of the parties that are involved in the lawsuit can have opposing views. Therefore I think that evidence is important however it needs to be evidence that cannot be questioned or considered to be circumstantial.

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.
Nothing that is not clear to me in your thread post is that, are you still living in this so called landlord house? If not the landlord must be in high drugs or alcohol, because he allowed you to move out before his now asking.

I think that even with evidence it can be circumstantial in these sort of situations because both of the parties that are involved in the lawsuit can have opposing views. Therefore I think that evidence is important however it needs to be evidence that cannot be questioned or considered to be circumstantial.
That's just it. For the former landlord to make such claims , it means that there is something that motivates him to it. I hope that the OP will have what it takes to win the case.

That's just it. For the former landlord to make such claims , it means that there is something that motivates him to it. I hope that the OP will have what it takes to win the case.
I think that one is very important is that if this is the case then it is approached with the correct professional manner and I think that if the landlord had decided that the administrator Alex does require a certain amount to be paid for the rent in the past he should have done so using proof from the start in order to alleviate any sign of ambiguity

So, one of my former landlords is asking for money (1500$+) from years ago, claiming that I owe rental payments. Where do I legally stand and what does everyone think about this? Of course, laws will be different depending where you live.

I'm sure that there are documents that shows how you pay him his house rents. I'm sure that if you owed, you're supposed to be aware of it till now. It's not understandable that he waited till now to come at you.

If actually payment was being owed to this landlord of your former resident, he still has the right to request payment and his claim will be favored before any competent court of law

I agree with you receipt and agreement letter would stand as a solid evidence in the court of law and it would also be helpful if there was a legal document.

Mr Alexander I would advise you to be very certain that you are actually not going this is Ross ex landlord this $1500 that he has alleged that you are owing him. If you are very certain that you are actually not going in this morning then I would advise you to ignore him and let him take the matter to court because I am quite certain that you will win in hands down and you will be awarded damages for it.

As you describe the laws are different, however, if you have already left the property the case should be closed, the landlord loses any rights over the tenant. The only way to force you to pay any amount is if you have reached a written agreement on an outstanding debt, before handing over the keys to the property.

Well,i don't know how the law is utilised in your country. But here in my country no landlord dare ask for payment after tears of packing out of his or her house... Of the could not get the money when i was still leaving in the house then, they can never get it again.

I do not believe that he owns the landlord any rent because the Alexander that I know is someone that is quite straight forward and honest so he can't hold someone rent for that long without actually putting it in his write up

From what you said, I sac say you are not more staying in the house, so obviously the money your former landlord is demanding for is absolutely questionable. However there are few things the law will consider, have you signed any written document with your former landlord where you agreed to be owing that amount of money, if there's a document backing it up then you should start preparing to pay up but if there's no such document, your former landlord have a lot of explanations to do.

Here in my country, the tenant and landlord has laws guiding them. If a Tennant failed to pay the landlord after three months of rent expiry date, the landlord has the right to quit such Tennant. Unless they have mutual agreement for that, then the landlord can pardon the tenant.

Owing a landlord a long time rent fee, is a serious offence, if the landlord takes the tenant to court, surely the tenant will pay more than he is expected to pay, cos no court will judge it in the favour of the tenant.

Different laws are applicable in different countries. In my country, if it is true and the landlord has documents such as receipts to show you are in arrears of rent, you will have to pay.

While it might hold to be true that laws will and might be different based o where we all live in, the law won't actually be favouring you here regardless of our difference in operational laws if you truely owed this landlord

You didn't tell us if you truly owe him or not. But i believe that there should be tenancy agreement which will have stated what he can do in the event of him owed.

Well, I think you should look for your backups:
- Lease agreement (for how much he rented you the place).
- Payment receipts (proof that you don't owe).

By doing this you should not have any problems

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back