Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
I made another topic about transcription jobs, which are writing out subtitles for videos or audio clips. But now I am seeing apps and programs like Descript, which does the transcription for you with AI, and from my use of it for a while, it truly does capture pretty close to what everyone says. Of course it's not perfect, but it makes the transcription process so much faster, and I think programs like Descript will remove the need for human transcribers. They'll just need some people to go over the transcript and OK the completed transcript, and fix any caught mistakes. I think AI will be used for transcription going forward. How do you feel about that possibility?

With the invention and hype about artificial intelligence (AI), people started thinking that it might take over writers' or transcribers' jobs, but that's not true at all. AI is a great invention to make your research process faster and easier, but it lacks human touch. We humans are blessed with emotional intelligence, which AI completely lacks. AI cannot be compassionate like humans. It makes mistakes. It's not perfect. We have to reread and edit. We cannot trust it blindly.

So my point is that we need artificial intelligence (AI) as well as human intelligence (HI) to be more creative and accurate in performing tasks related to research, writing, or transcription.

I made another topic about transcription jobs, which are writing out subtitles for videos or audio clips. But now I am seeing apps and programs like Descript, which does the transcription for you with AI, and from my use of it for a while, it truly does capture pretty close to what everyone says. Of course it's not perfect, but it makes the transcription process so much faster, and I think programs like Descript will remove the need for human transcribers. They'll just need some people to go over the transcript and OK the completed transcript, and fix any caught mistakes. I think AI will be used for transcription going forward. How do you feel about that possibility?
I certainly hope not, because then I would be out of a job! There were already concerns about this when I was in court reporting school, and now, when people can simply do talk-to-text, it makes many transcriptionists like myself worry that AI or automated programs could take over the jobs of human workers when it comes to typing, court reporting, captioning, and medical/legal files.
However, as many of our court reporting teachers assured us over and over again, nothing can truly take over the job of a human being. A working mind will always be able to catch errors and correct them, because it can "think". Whereas anything like AI, talk-to-text technology, etc. can skip over these errors and the finished product could be less than perfect and in need of further editing.
I've seen it myself. I get some crazy texts from my dad sometimes because he does the talk-to-text, and half of them don't make much sense because it's only typing what it hears, not the exact words he's actually saying. So you get somewhat of a jumbled message.

As much as I would hate to see AI taking over transcription jobs as it would take jobs away from so many people, the way we are seeing AI evolving is for sure showing us that it may be something we do need to worry about.

At the moment, I still think it is really early days but as AI progresses and becomes more clever, I think we will find that we will see them taking over transcription and for some people, it may be cheaper and better for them to use AI than to hire someone.

I don't think AI will take over transcription jobs. There are already a lot of tools that will help you in translation, yet translation is highly paid job on multiple freelancing platforms.

Artificial intelligence and voice-to-text technology exists and is even used by companies. However, AI transcription systems still require human intervention to achieve the desired level of quality. Considering these factors, it is unlikely that AI transcription will completely replace human transcriptionists in the foreseeable future.

I certainly hope not, because then I would be out of a job! There were already concerns about this when I was in court reporting school, and now, when people can simply do talk-to-text, it makes many transcriptionists like myself worry that AI or automated programs could take over the jobs of human workers when it comes to typing, court reporting, captioning, and medical/legal files.
However, as many of our court reporting teachers assured us over and over again, nothing can truly take over the job of a human being. A working mind will always be able to catch errors and correct them, because it can "think". Whereas anything like AI, talk-to-text technology, etc. can skip over these errors and the finished product could be less than perfect and in need of further editing.
I've seen it myself. I get some crazy texts from my dad sometimes because he does the talk-to-text, and half of them don't make much sense because it's only typing what it hears, not the exact words he's actually saying. So you get somewhat of a jumbled message.

I do not think that it will take over jobs because it is not as capable of transcribing audios as many people think. It may make many errors while transcribing audios and this is why it cannot replace a professional transcriptionist. Transcribing audios is a quite complex and technical job that requires you to listen to each and every word carefully before you could start transcribing. I do not think that AI is capable of doing that.

I do not think that it will take over jobs because it is not as capable of transcribing audios as many people think. It may make many errors while transcribing audios and this is why it cannot replace a professional transcriptionist. Transcribing audios is a quite complex and technical job that requires you to listen to each and every word carefully before you could start transcribing. I do not think that AI is capable of doing that.
I don't think so either @Good-Person
As you've said, AI is capable of making errors, but so are human transcriptionists.
The big difference here is, a person/human is able to catch these errors after the fact and correct them.
Some transcriptionists work as proofreaders as well, myself included. So we always have an eye out for errors, including our own.
AI is programmed to do one thing, and there are no "thoughts" to recheck the transcript for errors and then correct them. Not only errors, formatting is another biggie and general presentation. AI would just type what it hears, no matter how it looks as the finished project, whereas a transcriptionist would take all things into consideration and correct anything necessary before the transcript is complete and returned to the client.
😉

Last edited:

Personally I believe that there is a possibility of that happening which is why the use of artificial intelligence is something that is gaining more ground in all work sector today and if care is not taken, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs as a result of it.

It is unlikely that AI will completely take over transcription jobs in the near future. Human transcribers, on the other hand, possess linguistic and contextual knowledge that allows them to accurately transcribe audio with a higher level of precision.

I don't think AI will take over transcription jobs. There are already a lot of tools that will help you in translation, yet translation is highly paid job on multiple freelancing platforms.

I would actually like to point out that this should not be enough reason for humans to relax and say that something like this is likely not going to happen because one thing that I've come to understand about technology is that it can go to any mile when it comes to advancement.

I've seen descript in action for example and I am worried that ai is too good at catching what is in videos and audio. It makes transcription so much easier and faster. So it'll likely result in people using these services instead of paying people.

It still isn't perfect as it needs people to correct it, but from what I used, it's near perfect. And soon enough more programs with AI will come out and make it even easier.

Artificial intelligence and voice-to-text technology exists and is even used by companies. However, AI transcription systems still require human intervention to achieve the desired level of quality. Considering these factors, it is unlikely that AI transcription will completely replace human transcriptionists in the foreseeable future.

I can remember some decades ago when there is nothing like artificial intelligence been involved in any kind of business but looking at how things have evolved over the years, I am very certain that there is a possibility of that replacing human jobs in transcription completely.

It is unlikely that AI will completely take over transcription jobs in the near future. Human transcribers, on the other hand, possess linguistic and contextual knowledge that allows them to accurately transcribe audio with a higher level of precision.

I am quite sure that the AI shall have a really harder time understanding the accents of different nations. This is something that a human could do. However, it would be very hard for the AI to understand this. There are many voice to text applications, but they fail to understand what I am saying many times.

I am quite sure that the AI shall have a really harder time understanding the accents of different nations. This is something that a human could do. However, it would be very hard for the AI to understand this. There are many voice to text applications, but they fail to understand what I am saying many times.

Just wait for it when they are going to be development an algorithm that's capable of understanding everything when it comes to accents of different nations, then you will know that it's not too much work for technology to do that.

I've seen descript in action for example and I am worried that ai is too good at catching what is in videos and audio. It makes transcription so much easier and faster. So it'll likely result in people using these services instead of paying people.

It still isn't perfect as it needs people to correct it, but from what I used, it's near perfect. And soon enough more programs with AI will come out and make it even easier.
And because it will most likely never be perfect, that leaves an open space for transcript editing jobs 🙂 .. and I'm guessing transcriptionists will all become editors instead of transcribers, which many of them do anyway, myself included. 😉

Elon Musk made a tweet yesterday on Twitter asking how long is it going to take before Artificial Intelligence kills us all? What does that tell you all about what Artificial Intelligence is going to be capable of doing in years to come?

Does anyone there know that website called VERBALIZEIT from SMARTLING? Do you know if they are still hiring freelance transcriptionists and translatores?

Elon Musk made a tweet yesterday on Twitter asking how long is it going to take before Artificial Intelligence kills us all? What does that tell you all about what Artificial Intelligence is going to be capable of doing in years to come?

I think that artificial intelligence could pose some kind of threat to the job market in case if artificial intelligence is truly intelligent enough to work like a human does. However, this may or may not happen in the future and it depends on the efficiency of artificial intelligence.

I think that artificial intelligence could pose some kind of threat to the job market in case if artificial intelligence is truly intelligent enough to work like a human does. However, this may or may not happen in the future and it depends on the efficiency of artificial intelligence.

The world should just be very cautious and careful with the way they are becoming very dependent on technology because it is going to get to the point where these technologies might end up not being used in our better interest and we are most likely going to suffer it because we will find it very difficult to beat them.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back