What's new

Should our website change from Windows hosting to Linux to use Wordpress

eranet

Apr 10, 2013
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
Hi There

I hope you can help me out. The company I work for is in the process of creating a new website. The design agency we are employing to do this want us to move to a Linux based server rather than the Windows one our current site and email hoster uses. Our current hosts have said that they can upgrade our current package FOC to be able to include all the features that Wordpress and CMS require but our designers would still rather move us as they say Linux is 'smother'.

Our hosts and our design agency can move the website over easily but we would also need to move all our emails over.

Our current hosts have told us:
"Although we have a new webhosting platform which supports these features and wordpress we are only able to upgrade your account. We do not manage migration of data. If you will experience any downtime will depend on how you migrate - we can offer you both hosting packages side by side so you can configure your new hosting and then switch when ready.

Our hosting runs on Windows however fully supports Wordpress."

I have done quite a lot of research over the last 48 hours and looking through various forums across the web everyone says go to Linux, BUT all these posts are atleast 3 years old, so I have no opinions on what the current state of play is between Windows and Linux now.

What we need to know is:

1) How easy is it to copy over our emails from one server to another, and if it has to be done externally is it going to be costly or would a new host happily do it to get our business?
2) Is Linux better than Windows anyway and for the hassel it will take, it will be well worth it in the longrun?

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appriciated and if you require more information, I will try and give it, though I am pretty much at the top of my IT knowledge at this point!

Thank you.
Scarlett

I recommend to stay with Windows. Do not use Wordpress. It has proven to many that it is very vulnerable to hacking and DDo's. It is an ok software so go ahead and use it if you want, but remember that you are taking a certain risk. As I said, best idea is to stay with Windows. It's simpler staying than switching anyways.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back