Staff member
Team Manager
1000 Posts Club
Jun 21, 2023
USD
$29.1400USD
Biznotes
Benefits:
1. Not having to upload your files to a hosting provider. You can update your website with a simple file transfer from one computer to another. Backups are faster as well.
2. No spending time on the phone with your web host begging them to fix your problem. You can fix all of the problems on your web server yourself immediately.
3. Not having to deal with pesky web host terms of service.
4. No monthly or annual hosting fee.
5. Possible increase in site speed. You're on a dedicated server already. Rejoice!

Drawbacks and issues:
1. Needing a very high-speed internet connection.
2. Server power consumption, if your app is large.
3. Needing Linux security software, and the necessity of being your own cybersecurity person.
4. Opening up your home network to outside traffic could allow hackers to target other computers on your network that don't host your website, necessitating security protections for those computers as well. The alternative is to get a separate internet connection for your site computer, which could be expensive.
5. Dealing with the expense of a static ip address or the problems that dynamic ip bypassers cause, such as your website being down intermittently or slow loading times.
6. Scalability issues, if your web app outgrows your server.

Have you ever tried to do this? What was your experience? Any benefits or drawbacks and issues that I forgot to list?

I do not have the knowledge and resources to set up my own servers and I might never try it, however, I am fascinated by this concept. I believe if you have skills and resources, this can be a better option to host your website as you do not have to spend any money to host website, and you might even offer web hosting for clients.

I have my own servers. I don't run them in a dark basement or anything like that. lol I do it mainly to have more space and to save money.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back