What's new

Forums where you can't upload attachment?

Heatman

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
40,000 Post Club
Apr 14, 2018
USD
$4.2900USD
Biznotes
I have found out in my years of using forums that there are some forums where the owner have disabled option to upload any attachments. Personally, I find this very annoying because I would be forced to use a third party website Imgur to upload and generate links that's going to be included in the post I want to make.

How do you feel about making use of forums where there isn't any option for you to upload an attachment?

There are sites where it is impossible to attach a file 📂/screenshot 🖼 There is no “Attach file” button and this is a problem for many. But there is a solution if this button is missing, then you can use Screenshot hosting sites like imgbb or LightShot. Get a link 🔗 to your Screenshot and then send it to the desired recipient.

Some site owners don't allow it because it gets stored in their servers. I know some forum owners did that because they feared it would eat at their server storage. Now days you can simply set a size limit on the photos you attach, so to me it's a non problem as images don't take up a lot of space anyway.

I have been on a lot of forums where they do not allow attachments. However, as a forum owner myself, I understand why this feature is disabled. Sometimes member abuse this feature and attach too many images, which will create a server load. I have limitation on the size for attachment on my forums

I haven't seen this on a forum in a long time. Back in the day when hosting was expensive, it made sense for members to not be able to attach media to their posts since it would use up too much space and cause slow downs. I still just tend to usually upload images on a different site even if attachments are allowed.

I think the ability to upload attachments depends on different factors, such as how much web space a user has on their board/server, and what type of forum you may be uploading attachments to. I only allow attachments to be uploaded to my resource forums and support forums. I think "general" images for fun or to show off something can be uploaded to third-party image hosts where it doesn't take up more of your web space.

True, in the past, some site owners were concerned about storage issues. However, with modern options like setting size limits on attached photos, it's become a non-issue. Managing server storage has become more efficient, allowing for a smoother experience without compromising on image sharing.

Disabling of image/file upload mostly done in sites or forum with little storage space as not to overload the storage with the unnecessary.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back