What's new

Ever been asked to change your domain because it was too similar to another?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
Has there ever been a time where you were asked to change your domain name or site name because it came to close to another site/businesses name? I have only had this happen once, and it wasn't that close. I can't say what it was, as I since closed the site, but it was close to a popular name. I decided to change it and sell it off after the company sent me an email asking to change it. I didn't want to deal with it, so I figured it'd be the best move.

What about you though, has this ever happened to you?

Provided that the domain name is available, I see no reason why the authorities should ask you to change unless if the other businesses interested in buying it.

Has there ever been a time where you were asked to change your domain name or site name because it came to close to another site/businesses name? I have only had this happen once, and it wasn't that close. I can't say what it was, as I since closed the site, but it was close to a popular name. I decided to change it and sell it off after the company sent me an email asking to change it. I didn't want to deal with it, so I figured it'd be the best move.

Yes, I've been asked to change my domain name before because it was too similar to a trademarked name of another website. It was a little frustrating because I had already invested time and money into building up the site, but ultimately I decided to change it to avoid any potential legal issues.
Although i a still confused, since the trademark was not for my country. But i didn't want court cases. So i just changed it.

No I've not been in such situation before but I don't think it's right for someone to be told to change domain name because it looks similar to another. The cost it takes someone to build one is not a joke. It can actually affect the popularity and access for a while.

There has never been anytime I was asked to change my domain name because it was similar to another, I only know that there was a time I was asked to change my username because someone already has it in the forum.

I have not. I think by law, in most cases, you can't do anything about it. It is just a domain name. However, if the website itself is copying the other site with a logo, branding, sales, etc. then you can sue them over it.

I have not be asked to change domain because it's close another site or company name, but I understand what you're saying. It's called trademark. Some big brands trademark their name. If you create a domain similar to theirs they could sue you or report to your domain registrar. Or do both.

I have not been told to change my domain name because it is similar to someone else's. I don't think that things like this could happen because when you search for domain name to use , if it has already been taken, it will pop out the message immediately that the domain name is taken already.

I
Provided that the domain name is available, I see no reason why the authorities should ask you to change unless if the other businesses interested in buying it.
It may be very similar that people have been finding it misleading. They may get back to the ones with the main site and this could prompt such action.

Scammers often use this tactic too,so it would make sense to be concerned.

It has to do with they name and they trade which one is involve in it which if there is similarity in name and structure some times they is need to change the numenclature

It has to do with they name and they trade which one is involve in it which if there is similarity in name and structure some times they is need to change the numenclature
If someone has deposit name or something like that or deposit a mark then most of the time there is domain protect option like for example someone could run bizdustry.net or bizdustry.org on another registar but you have to pay for option to prevent this from being happening.

No nothing like that has ever happen before because i don't even have a domain for myself. But it must not reach that level for anybody that has a domain, it should have been taking down when registering the domain not after the owner has been using it

No nothing like that has ever happen before because i don't even have a domain for myself. But it must not reach that level for anybody that has a domain, it should have been taking down when registering the domain not after the owner has been using it
Like what I said if owner buy domain name protection option all extensions will be unavailable for same domain name because someone could just change the extension then claim domain name which is big lose for the owner.

Assuming the domain name is available, I don't see why the authorities would require a domain name change unless other companies were interested in buying it.

Personally, I have never encountered such a circumstance, although I do not believe it is appropriate to demand that somebody else alter their domain name because it is too close to another.

the only time i have encountered such is at the initial stage of trying to buy the domain, that is when i encounter such challenges, but never at all when i have finished paying for the domain.

I have never been advised to alter my web domain since it is akin to another's. Stuff such as this, I do not even believe are possible because I believe there are systems in place to detect this prior to making your domain name official.

I haven't had to change my domain name after registering, only before. I'll not agree to change my name after registering because any similarities will have been discovered long before I registered the domain.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back