What's new

For a new business, is it adviseeable to employ family and friends?

It has both disadvantages and advantages, they will be the best people to trust on so it's a good thing in a business on the one hand but on the other hand if they screw things up it will be difficult as a family member to yell at them or to explain them that they are doing something wrong and that they need to change their way.
I think that combining family with business is a recipe for disaster. The family will feel comfortable at the job, they wouldn't be scared to be fired so they wouldn't give their best everyday while working and that is not good for the business. They would also may ask to finish working earlier and more favors just because you are a family and then the business will be less profitable and that is something a business owner doesn't want to happen.

There's nothing bad in employing family and friends into your business most especially if its a new business , though it has its own advantage and disadvantages , but everything is based on trust.

I can employ family members or friends into my business organisation that is not withstanding , the most important thing is their willingness to help my business succeed. That is what will determine the type of family members and friends I will employ into the business.

It has both disadvantages and advantages, they will be the best people to trust on so it's a good thing in a business on the one hand but on the other hand if they screw things up it will be difficult as a family member to yell at them or to explain them that they are doing something wrong and that they need to change their way.
I think that combining family with business is a recipe for disaster. The family will feel comfortable at the job, they wouldn't be scared to be fired so they wouldn't give their best everyday while working and that is not good for the business. They would also may ask to finish working earlier and more favors just because you are a family and then the business will be less profitable and that is something a business owner doesn't want to happen.
You have said it all , employing your family and friends to your company has its own advantages and disadvantage , and the disadvantage is far more than the advantage.

Well, including family and friends into business is not bad to some extent though it depends on their behaviours but for those family members who are ready to work for the progress of your business, they can be employed.

It is not advisable to employ a family or friend in a newly set up business because there will be limit to which you can discipline such people if they commit offence or when they show some kind of laziness or irregularity
Depending the kind of family member you related to is not bad to employ your family member in your business, there is ones who can manage your business well with you, I am telling you with experience.

Sometimes this type of decisions make you regret after some time. Sometimes we trust so much on family or friends and that trust hurt us at some points but it is not every time we face but we should employ them because we need some members so they will be a good choice.
There are things that one really need to look out for in a family ir friend before you can actually get them to start working for you,you must know their credibility level,their comitment,and how well they connect with your vision.

The new family member You are applying in your new business must be trust worthy and also have the ability of being able to handle the business effectively without any problem .

I can employ family members but not friends. If you hire your friend at the beginning of your business to cut cost, the friend might later elevate him or herself to your business partner rather than employee.

I have never been in the support of employee family and friends in your business but then there can be perspectives. You have already form a good relationship with them and working with them is going to be easier.

I have never been in the support of employee family and friends in your business but then there can be perspectives. You have already form a good relationship with them and working with them is going to be easier.
This is a good point. At the initial stage of the business, it is advisable to take advantage of every means of reducing production costs and this involves using family and friends as staff too.

Family and friends that are capable and are willing to separate work from pleasure is one of the best things that you can ever get from your business especially when you are just starting.

Employing friends and family has its own benefits most especially when youbare starting a new business with no enough money to pay the salary of the workers , a family member will never leaves you because you dont have enough to pay him or her .

For a start up, would you advise he/she accommodates family and friends to cut cost?
I for one, do not think this is a good idea because family members are prone to displaying negative work attitudes. They feel they can do so because of blood relations and so it is also harder in some cases to reprimand them. In addition, if cutting costs involve non-payment of remuneration under the pretext of family, they may also start to embezzle funds from the company

Incorporating family into business has been discovered for long to be very futile and results into unnecessary misunderstandings. It is always advisable to separate business from family.

Incorporating family into business has been discovered for long to be very futile and results into unnecessary misunderstandings. It is always advisable to separate business from family.
You are right, I was actually a victim of such situation, the business eventually crumbled because my Brother always borrows the business money without my notice.

You are right, I was actually a victim of such situation, the business eventually crumbled because my Brother always borrows the business money without my notice.
It's very hard for one to do that because the two are like the opposites of each other
It is good to always separate the two and handle them accordingly.

It's very hard for one to do that because the two are like the opposites of each other
It is good to always separate the two and handle them accordingly.
Yeah I learnt lessons and next time I would start up my business I would not incorporate family into it and I would treat family as family and business as business.

I wouldn't advice that, especially for a new business. Most new business lacks structure and as such there's more room to misuse opportunities. It is always better that one recruits without sentiments at that crucial initial stage.
But for me I don't see anything wrong with employing a family member into your new business, if actually the person you want to employ in that family are a good person that can take good care of that business fine.

• you may not need to do a background check
  • you have an idea of whether or not they’re lying on their resume
  • you already know if you can stand to see their face on a daily basis (and maybe you can’t, but at least you know that in advance)
  • you have an idea of their reliability
  • their personal references are probably your references

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back