What's new

Do you delete or ban old inactive accounts on your forum?

It's left for the forum owner for me I have a free forum those inactive very users I will just suspend their account thou some of them do send messages to me asking me to lift their account and I will ask them to rather create another account

I think if you're sure the person is no longer active for a long period of time, like a year, it's the duty of the administrators to delete all such accounts, don't you think that will be better.

I think if you're sure the person is no longer active for a long period of time, like a year, it's the duty of the administrators to delete all such accounts, don't you think that will be better.
If you do this then sure you will lose a lot of good members that may be inactive for a year and then came back later with good content after one year absence. If they see their account deleted they will not resignup again. This is bad practice.

If you do this then sure you will lose a lot of good members that may be inactive for a year and then came back later with good content after one year absence. If they see their account deleted they will not resignup again. This is bad practice.
Yes it might cost you Losing some of your members, but mind you the goal to have active members, who can create and comment on high quality contents, not people that will be posting thrash

With any forum I have owned, I have never banned or deleted any accounts due to inactivity at all. The main reason for this is that you never know if they may want to come back at a later date, sometimes people register and things happen in life and they may not have been able to jump on for a while. Deleting their account would look bad if they ever did choose to come back at a later date. I also do not delete inactive accounts because you never know if someone may later on come back to cause trouble or if someone may cause trouble and you deleting the account could result in you losing evidence that proves they are ban evading.

Yes it might cost you Losing some of your members, but mind you the goal to have active members, who can create and comment on high quality contents, not people that will be posting thrash
It is possible that people create high quality content then things happens and he is inactive for 6 months or 1 year so in this case delete his account cause lose of this good element if he thinks to go back.

Actually sometimes it depends on the situation making it inactive but for banned account, it can be deleted at anytime most especially when there is no more favour to regain the account.

In the past I would just put their accounts on a sleep mode. I assume if they aren't coming to the site, they probably don't want to be receiving a ton of emails. I also have it set up that if they're gone for a certain amount of time, an automated email is sent to them asking where they've been and we miss them, etc.

I believe that removing inactive accounts should not be done. A person may return to the website at any time. This is why removing accounts could cause a lots of problems for the people.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back