What's new

How long will a DM stay before you start feeling ignored?

Heatman

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
40,000 Post Club
Apr 14, 2018
USD
$4.2900USD
Biznotes
I know that we all have personal lives to live outside making use of forums. So no one is going to demand that you stay active in your own forum 24/7 and attend to everyone and everything as they come up.

In a situation whereby you've send a DM to a forum owner about something and he didn't reply after being online for a while, how long is it going to stay before you start feeling that he's purposely ignoring your DM?

That's an interesting question. I really dislike when I am being ignored and mostly when I know the person has been online and has been actively posting on forum. I find that disrespectull to me as a forum member. So, back to the question on the time. Well, let's see, I would say 5 days. Now, the reason it is this short is because if I see him/her active on forum everyday, that proves my point on being ignored.

That's an interesting question. I really dislike when I am being ignored and mostly when I know the person has been online and has been actively posting on forum. I find that disrespectull to me as a forum member. So, back to the question on the time. Well, let's see, I would say 5 days. Now, the reason it is this short is because if I see him/her active on forum everyday, that proves my point on being ignored.

Personally, I don't have to wait for days before I start feeling ignored after sending a DM to a forum owner. Once I have seen the owner online posting and commenting on several sections in his forum, that's my DM being ignored. It won't take the heavens for me to get a reply as long as he or she have the time to post.

Personally, I don't have to wait for days before I start feeling ignored after sending a DM to a forum owner. Once I have seen the owner online posting and commenting on several sections in his forum, that's my DM being ignored. It won't take the heavens for me to get a reply as long as he or she have the time to post.
Yes but it depends on my question. I know when I ask alex here some technical question or business question, I know he read it but he can't reply right away. He can do minor things on forum, I see that but my question is complex so I know he has personal life and handling this forum is hell of a job!

Yes but it depends on my question. I know when I ask alex here some technical question or business question, I know he read it but he can't reply right away. He can do minor things on forum, I see that but my question is complex so I know he has personal life and handling this forum is hell of a job!

I don't get worked over Alex's DM duration of reply on Bizdustry. I have him on other chat tool where he usually replied swiftly, so most of the time, I don't bother with sending him a DM on Bizdustry.

I'm talking about other forums where I have experienced this kind of being ignored when I'm very sure the person have been online and engaging in his forum without caring to send a reply. It pisses me off.

I don't get worked over Alex's DM duration of reply on Bizdustry. I have him on other chat tool where he usually replied swiftly, so most of the time, I don't bother with sending him a DM on Bizdustry.

I'm talking about other forums where I have experienced this kind of being ignored when I'm very sure the person have been online and engaging in his forum without caring to send a reply. It pisses me off.
Nobody likes being ignored, in fact, scientists did experiment with plants to see how will they grow if you yell on one, compliment another and ignore them totally. Ignored one was the worse of them all. Even the one you cursed was in a better condition over a month period.

Nobody likes being ignored, in fact, scientists did experiment with plants to see how will they grow if you yell on one, compliment another and ignore them totally. Ignored one was the worse of them all. Even the one you cursed was in a better condition over a month period.

Wow, that's one hell of an experiment. It's my first time of hearing about it. I'm definitely going to look for more information on it to get all details about it.

You're right about how bad it feels for someone to be ignored. It's just like treating the person like trash which no human being deserves to be put through such.

Wow, that's one hell of an experiment. It's my first time of hearing about it. I'm definitely going to look for more information on it to get all details about it.

You're right about how bad it feels for someone to be ignored. It's just like treating the person like trash which no human being deserves to be put through such.
My bad, the one i mentioned is rice. But there are with plants too.

This depends on a few things, if the owner hasn't logged in to the forum in those days when I sent him a DM, it won't count, but if he has been online and hasn't replied to me during the first 48 hours, I'll start to think that he's ignoring me, it doesn't cost that much to respond to a DM, So more than 48 hours is a lot.

We all have a life outside of forums, but I still think it doesn't take more than 1 minute to answer a DM.

Last edited:
This depends on a few things, if the owner hasn't logged in to the forum in those days when I sent him a DM they won't count, but if he has been online and hasn't replied to me during the first 48 hours, I'll start to think that he's ignoring me, it doesn't cost that much to respond to a DM, So more than 48 hours is a lot.

We all have a life outside of forums, but I still think it doesn't take more than 1 minute to answer a DM.

Exactly my point! It doesn't take anything to reply a DM. Even in a situation where it's something serious that's going to take a lot of time for you to sort out, you can still send a reply saying, I will review and get back to you as soon as possible. Reading the DM and keeping quiet when a response is needed is totally wrong.

Exactly my point! It doesn't take anything to reply a DM. Even in a situation where it's something serious that's going to take a lot of time for you to sort out, you can still send a reply saying, I will review and get back to you as soon as possible. Reading the DM and keeping quiet when a response is needed is totally wrong.
It would not be the case if you have 50 unread DM means it takes a life to reply all of them same word so like 25 minutes or 50 minutes then you reply one by one and separate time in the journey or even on two journeys that is most followed practice.

It would not be the case if you have 50 unread DM means it takes a life to reply all of them same word so like 25 minutes or 50 minutes then you reply one by one and separate time in the journey or even on two journeys that is most followed practice.

Having 50 unread DM is absurd but I know that it's possible for something like this to happen especially when someone is running a paid to post forum. There's a chance that so many messages will come from many members. I can make an exception exception to this kind of situation but it doesn't happen in all forum.

The only thing a user is going to think is that he is being ignored and that there is very deplorable technical support in the forum/website, this is very bad for a website or forum, as the user might get dissatisfied and leave a bad review or any other type of dissemination to make the website look bad, I think it's better to respond, even briefly, than to simply put the DM on hold.

If it happens to be someone you're dating, I think going days without responding is weird. But everyone has lives of their own and responding to messages right away isn't always possible. If it's work related and they don't respond for days, that can be a problem. But I like to give people time to respond for the most part. If it's not a rush, I don't get anxious to receive a message page, I just be as patient as I can.

The only thing a user is going to think is that he is being ignored and that there is very deplorable technical support in the forum/website, this is very bad for a website or forum, as the user might get dissatisfied and leave a bad review or any other type of dissemination to make the website look bad, I think it's better to respond, even briefly, than to simply put the DM on hold.

The brief response is going to save you a lot of problems that keeping blank quiet is going to cost you. I know very well that some people can be very impatient but going for days without replying a DM with a sensitive inquiry is the owner of the forum asking for all the smokes. When they start coming, he or she shouldn't nag about it.

24 hours to 48 hours is enough time for me to wait for a reply to any messages I've sent to forum owner. If he comes online but didn't reply my messages after 48 hours, I will take it as being ignored.

If it happens to be someone you're dating, I think going days without responding is weird. But everyone has lives of their own and responding to messages right away isn't always possible. If it's work related and they don't respond for days, that can be a problem. But I like to give people time to respond for the most part. If it's not a rush, I don't get anxious to receive a message page, I just be as patient as I can.

When it comes to relationship, communication is vital to the survival of their relationship. It is not something that you can just blank on your partner simply because you are working or that you are busy.

You will always have to find time to communicate with your partner and give the person update on how things are going with you, otherwise they're going to lose it and that will put in cracks in the relationship.

For me a two days maximum is enough for me to feel like your ignoring my dm. If he or she is not really active for some days, I can have an afterthought, but in instances where I see your active for like in all 3 hrs at least in a day is more than enough.

If the person I sent a PM is active on the site and has not answered my PM for over a week, I understand that he/she is purposedly ignoring me, and I just start being inactive on the site. THis has happened to me many times and I left sites where the admin did not answer my PMs.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back