What's new

How long do you think, on average, it takes to build a thriving community?

Dismal_Bliss

Familiar Face
Nov 23, 2023
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
Just curious what your thoughts are on this. Some forum communities appear to take off, particularly the "catch-all topics" and "forum promotion" types forums, which will basically feature the same cast and crew that you see everywhere else. Niche forums take a bit longer.

My first niche forum started in 2006. We almost close the doors and gave up in 2008 because everyone was flocking to Facebook, but we hung in there. Now, we're closing in on a million posts and get at least a half dozen registrations per day.

My new niche forum still needs coddling. It's growing ever so slowly. But I just remind myself that the previous one took a few years before it learned to walk on it's own. Just like a toddler :p

I think this depends on how much time, energy, and money you are putting into building your community. Recently, one of my forums reached 1000 posts. It took 7 months. If I had put a lot of effort, including money to hire paid posters, I would have reached 1000 posts in less than a month.

A quality that is important when building a site and a forum is hard work and patience. If you have put in the requires lid effort and hours of work, it does not mean that you will see the results in a short period of time. You need to exercise patience.

I can see we're all harmonious when it comes to the fact that we need patience. Keep watering and give it time and it will grow.

The content comes into play as well. I think it's great to serve a certain niche or interest versus being something general. On the other hand, you don't want your niche too narrow.

I think this depends on how much time, energy, and money you are putting into building your community. Recently, one of my forums reached 1000 posts. It took 7 months. If I had put a lot of effort, including money to hire paid posters, I would have reached 1000 posts in less than a month.
Reach one thousand members or posts is a hard requirement to qualify if they are quality posts but if they are low quality one and not SEO friendly it could be a problem for your SEO referencing and could face some problems.

I think building a thriving community typically takes several months to a few years, depending on various factors such as the size of the community, engagement levels, resources allocated, and the goals of the community. It requires consistent effort, strong leadership, and a supportive environment to foster growth and engagement.

There is no doubt that creating niche forums can be a slow but rewarding journey. Your experience reflects the resilience needed. The initial struggle is common, but with persistence, forums can evolve into vibrant communities.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back