What's new

How long do you let a user spam before giving them a warning?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
All forums end up having a few spammers, some are just people who aren't familiar with forums, and may think it's like a chat room. I often give a quick warning to someone if they are caught using a forum as a chat room, and they usually stop. Some will get mad and PM me asking why I called them out. I explain the rules and usually they listen and go on their merry way. But are there any times where a user keeps spamming even after continued warnings? Have you ever banned someone for excessive spamming?

Being a moderator of Bizdustry, and some other forum, I can give my opinion on this, if the user simply spammed and I don't remember the user spamming previously or in their moderation notes there is no proof of this, I will not give them any warning and I will simply delete their post, but if I see that the following posts are the same, I'll give them a warning, depending on the "percentage" of spam I think it is, but I'll give the warning in the second post or at most in the third post.

As soon as I find someone is spamming my site, I immediately give a warning. I do not wait for spammer to create trash posts. However, sometimes I am unable to check my site for weeks and when I back to find a lot of spam posts, I ban spammers. I cannot tolerate spam.

I ban spammers. I cannot tolerate spam.
I like this spirit. No time for nonsense. Some individual doesn't take corrections without discipline. If the forum was that important to em, next time they come to the forum, they will watch out for second boom 🙅😏
Paul Giamatti Good Job GIF by Focus Features

Being a moderator of Bizdustry, and some other forum, I can give my opinion on this, if the user simply spammed and I don't remember the user spamming previously or in their moderation notes there is no proof of this, I will not give them any warning and I will simply delete their post, but if I see that the following posts are the same, I'll give them a warning, depending on the "percentage" of spam I think it is, but I'll give the warning in the second post or at most in the third post.
Sounds like you got the moderation covered. :) That sounds like the right way to do it. If it's not happening often, deleting the spam post should be fine. I would keep it up as long as the user isn't repeating the offense.

As soon as I find someone is spamming my site, I immediately give a warning. I do not wait for spammer to create trash posts. However, sometimes I am unable to check my site for weeks and when I back to find a lot of spam posts, I ban spammers. I cannot tolerate spam.
That's fair. Some people don't know how to stop spamming, so a ban is sometime suggested. Warnings are good, but if they keep doing it after repeated warnings, an ban will definitely be in order.

I have found that a lot of spammers are backlink sellers on Fiverr. They join forums just to post their links. They are not interested in the genuine discussions, their aim is just to trick their buyers on sites like Fiverr. I don't know if they get away with it on freelancing platforms.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back