What's new

Has a mod ever gone back and hurt your forum?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
Have you ever had a falling out with one of your mods, and as a retaliation they cause havoc on your forums and may even start posting defamatory things about you. I've witnessed this at other forums where people had a falling out with one of their mods and the guy wasn't removed as a mod right away, so he was able to go in, delete hundreds of topics, posted hate posts and so on. It happens a lot. That's why when I mod anyone, I give them limits. Like they can't delete a topic after a certain date, unless I give the go ahead.

But I don't let things like this happen as I respect my mods and users. What about you. Has this sort of thing happened to you or another forum owner you know?

My forums small communities, therefore, I handle all responsibilities including forum moderation. I have hired moderators only on one forum and I had just one moderator. I knew this person from real life so I did not have to worry about anything related to hurting my community. If you are hiring unknown people., you need to be really careful.

It is always going to be in your best interest to handle things immediately when it is sensitive for you not to attend to them immediately. In a situation where by there is a problem that resulted in removing someone who used to be a staff member, it is paramount to remove every privileges that person's account have to prevent having a backlash from that person if he is the kind of person to go down that road.

Yup. Had put a guy on moderation and he was good at it. He got along with everyone but then he fell into the "wrong crowed". We had a group of annoying troll members on the forum and he ended up becoming like them and he kept saying he hated being a mod so he was removed and then he got mad and all his troll friends spammed the crap out of the forum, insulted other members, and were trying to find ways top derank the forum. This was not a forum I owned but one a friend owned and it ended up going under because of the mess.

Yup. Had put a guy on moderation and he was good at it. He got along with everyone but then he fell into the "wrong crowed". We had a group of annoying troll members on the forum and he ended up becoming like them and he kept saying he hated being a mod so he was removed and then he got mad and all his troll friends spammed the crap out of the forum, insulted other members, and were trying to find ways top derank the forum. This was not a forum I owned but one a friend owned and it ended up going under because of the mess.

Damn! This is so crazy. This is the reason why I don't give room to allowing members to troll others in my community. The moment I noticed or get a report that a particular member is trolling others, the person is going to be warned. If that repeats the second time, he will be banned permanently. Any other person that follows the same line will get the same treatment.

It is better to root out those people that are likely to cause problem for your community on time before things get out of hand.

I don't care if somebody speaks bad about me but it would be really bad if that person starts deleting threads of the forum. That's why giving people that kind of power is always risk. Yes, there is a backup but still...

It is going to be a very big mistake for you to allow any of your members the privilege to delete their own content whenever they want to. This is something a lot of people can abuse just to get back at you. In a situation whereby you have a fallout with any of your staff member who happens to be a moderator, it is better for you to remove this privilege immediately the person have been demoted.

No, I've never had any problems or misunderstanding with any of my moderators which resulted in his removal. My forum moderators who stepped down did so voluntarily because of their personal life situation they couldn't handle and be active in the staff team.

My forums small communities, therefore, I handle all responsibilities including forum moderation. I have hired moderators only on one forum and I had just one moderator. I knew this person from real life so I did not have to worry about anything related to hurting my community. If you are hiring unknown people., you need to be really careful.

Whenever you have the privilege of getting someone you know in real life to work with you on your project, it will always give you the peace of mind knowing that the person is not going to do anything that will hurt your community for any reason whatsoever. It's those unknown online personalities we need to be worried about.

That is true. If you know the person individually, you can also book him by law if he tries to cheats on you. However, when it comes to running online communities, or even business, it is not always possible to hire people you know from your real life. You will also have to frequently hire people you met online, and you might not even know the real name of these guys.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back