What's new

Using a 3D printer to recycle used plastic, is it possible?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
Can you recycle used plastic and use it for 3D printing? I have a lot of old plastic sitting around, and if I could recycle it in filaments to use in 3D printing. Is there any way of doing this easily? Maybe a plastic melter that will melt plastic and make filaments. Anything like that exist? First I need to get myself a 3D printer, but it's on my radar to one day do.

I also have a plan to get a 3D printer. I have been thinking about a business involving 3D printing for a long time but I have not been able to get started yet. Plastic is one of the mediums used in 3D printing, I think plastics can be recycled and used as a printing medium for 3D printer. However, I believe you need to set up another machine to create 3D printing materials form plastics.

Can you recycle used plastic and use it for 3D printing? I have a lot of old plastic sitting around, and if I could recycle it in filaments to use in 3D printing. Is there any way of doing this easily? Maybe a plastic melter that will melt plastic and make filaments. Anything like that exist? First I need to get myself a 3D printer, but it's on my radar to one day do.

I also have a plan to get a 3D printer. I have been thinking about a business involving 3D printing for a long time but I have not been able to get started yet. Plastic is one of the mediums used in 3D printing, I think plastics can be recycled and used as a printing medium for 3D printer. However, I believe you need to set up another machine to create 3D printing materials form plastics.
Even though I don't have nor have a need for a 3D printer, I am into being eco-friendly so this is a great topic. From the recycling standpoint, not all plastics are the same. It's easier to recycle #1 & 2 than it is #7. So I would guess one would have to check the manual to see what plastics could be used in this printer.

Yes, you can recycle used plastic for 3D printing. A plastic extruder can melt down the plastic and turn it into filament, which is usable in 3D printers. It's an eco-friendly option that helps reduce plastic waste and saves on filament costs. If you plan to get a 3D printer in the future, recycling your old plastic for filament could be a practical and sustainable choice.

Yes, you can recycle used plastic for 3D printing. A plastic extruder can melt down the plastic and turn it into filament, which is usable in 3D printers. It's an eco-friendly option that helps reduce plastic waste and saves on filament costs. If you plan to get a 3D printer in the future, recycling your old plastic for filament could be a practical and sustainable choice.
This is really good to know! Do you need a plastic extruder to melt down the plastic? Or is there another way to do so, without burning the plastic?
Too bad more people don't use this as an option. Many may not even realize it!

Even though I don't have nor have a need for a 3D printer, I am into being eco-friendly so this is a great topic. From the recycling standpoint, not all plastics are the same. It's easier to recycle #1 & 2 than it is #7. So I would guess one would have to check the manual to see what plastics could be used in this printer.
I saw a video of people recycling plastic bottles to make filament for 3D printers. Seemed to work pretty good, but I think there was still some structure problems with the plastic he used. But if it results in protecting our planet better, I would gladly find ways of using plastic bottles, mainly the ones that can't be recycled for money. I would use those. I have a ton of cheap plastic water bottles. I wonder if those would work to make filaments.

I saw a video of people recycling plastic bottles to make filament for 3D printers. Seemed to work pretty good, but I think there was still some structure problems with the plastic he used. But if it results in protecting our planet better, I would gladly find ways of using plastic bottles, mainly the ones that can't be recycled for money. I would use those. I have a ton of cheap plastic water bottles. I wonder if those would work to make filaments.
Are you willing to test this all out? lol Then you can be come back to us with all the trial & error. Maybe even start a thread & in the future, have a forum dedicated to 3D printers! I don't see a forum out there yet :D
I agree with you. I'm all for protecting our planet better. Everything little bit has to help.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back