What's new

Why are most people still using Windows or MacOS, when Linux is such a powerful OS?

Riberet19

Staff member
5000+ Posts Club
Jan 5, 2023
USD
$14.4100USD
Biznotes
Today I was looking at a data that said that less than 10% of the world's computers used Linux as an OS and that almost 75% of the world used Windows and the rest of the percentage MacOS, I don't understand how so few people can use Linux when it is such a powerful and private OS, I guess it's because of the complexity of use, but is there something else behind all this? What do you think?

Linux need a higher level of technicality than Windows OS. So many game and app developers find it easy to play around and modify application for windows OS than that of Linux. However those that know how to and what linux is capable of, will tell you linux has best security.

Because of mass adoption. Almost every device released came with Windows, or if you bought a Mac, then MacOS or whatever OS they used at the time. Most people could afford a PC versus a mac, and Linux back in the day wasn't always for everyone, most average PC users wouldn't even know where to begin with Linux. I think some distributions didn't even have a GUI (Guided user interface), which means they needed to run programs and other apps through a terminal. It is kind of how Windows Dos was. But there a Linux distros that work like Windows, and some that even work like mac.

Not everyone knows how to install another OS, or even to dual boot one.

I switched to Linux a while back, and I love the privacy and customization it offers. But yeah, the learning curve can be a bit steep for some. Also, compatibility with certain software and games is a factor.

Funny thing is, I have all three systems. A Mac, a Windows laptop and a Linux device. I started working with Linux recently, last year, when I bought Steam Deck and went into desktop mode. I can say for sure that Linux is very convenient and as an enthusiast I am very impressed with it. Now that I have all 3 OS's I don't have to argue about which is better because they all have their own interesting features. But in terms of percentages, I would say that I spend 70 % of my time on Windows, 20% on Mac and 10% on Linux.

Linux need a higher level of technicality than Windows OS. So many game and app developers find it easy to play around and modify application for windows OS than that of Linux. However those that know how to and what linux is capable of, will tell you linux has best security.
Not true depending on your distro. Mint and Zorin will feel right at home to a Windows user with no extra technicality needed.

To answer the OP question it's because of two big factors. 1) Most people don't know Windows is spyware and 2) Linux doesn't market their product so that 75% Windows users probably 74% don't even know about Linux.

I use Mint, Whonix, and Tails.

Last edited:
Mainly because Linux concentrated on the Server side of things while windows and Mac focused on the user interfaces. And that attracted the regular users.
Since Linux is free, there was not a company promoting the software to make a profit vs Microsoft and Apple, so those companies acquired a large market share and the regular computer users got used to those systems.

Through the years, Linux has improved the User Interface(UI) for non technical users, but it is not promoted/incorporated into the the markets as Microsoft and Apple, even though Linux is better in so many aspects.

I started using linux around 18 years ago, I never looked back to windows again and I don't regret it a bit. But still it's a little technical.

Last but not least, Linux is the KING, the #1 in the Server world.

Mainly because Linux concentrated on the Server side of things while windows and Mac focused on the user interfaces. And that attracted the regular users.
Since Linux is free, there was not a company promoting the software to make a profit vs Microsoft and Apple, so those companies acquired a large market share and the regular computer users got used to those systems.

Through the years, Linux has improved the User Interface(UI) for non technical users, but it is not promoted/incorporated into the the markets as Microsoft and Apple, even though Linux is better in so many aspects.

I started using linux around 18 years ago, I never looked back to windows again and I don't regret it a bit. But still it's a little technical.

Last but not least, Linux is the KING, the #1 in the Server world.
I started about 6 years ago and fully ditched Windows 3 years ago. All the software I need that is only made for Windows works great in Linux and I haven't had any complaints in gaming either. Vulkan is comparable to Direct X.

I have used Windows all my life. I have used Mac computers but not much. I have never used Linux. I do not know why I never started using Linux. Maybe when I learned about Linux I was already much familiar with Windows.

I have used Windows all my life. I have used Mac computers but not much. I have never used Linux. I do not know why I never started using Linux. Maybe when I learned about Linux I was already much familiar with Windows.
There are Linux distros that are very easy for a Windows user to pick up. Mint and Zorin OS are pick up and go essentially and it doesn't contain all of the spyware! ^_^

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back