Owner
Staff member
Administrative Team
1000 Posts Club
May 4, 2015
USD
$109.8000USD
Biznotes
I recently visited a restaurant and purchased a meal and drink. I had a few hours to kill, so grab my laptop out and plug my e-bike battery in to recharge.

I didn’t think much of it, as I made a purchase and the signs stated free charging for customers. The manager came in over and said we don’t allow this type of charging, only mobile phones and there’s a time limit for dining in which is 60 minutes.

I was the only person in the restaurant and well, there were well over 50 tables. The manager was expressing concerns over electric bills, despite the cost of charging a battery being pennies.

What do you think about these types of business owners? Have you had similar experiences?

I can't say I have ever had any experience with these kinds of business owners but I have known others to run into these kinds of business owners.

I'm guessing with the restaurant being somewhat quiet with you being the only customer with that many tables, it would seem his business strategy and how he treats his customers could be why his restaurant is as quiet as it is.

I recently visited a restaurant and purchased a meal and drink. I had a few hours to kill, so grab my laptop out and plug my e-bike battery in to recharge.

I didn’t think much of it, as I made a purchase and the signs stated free charging for customers. The manager came in over and said we don’t allow this type of charging, only mobile phones and there’s a time limit for dining in which is 60 minutes.

I was the only person in the restaurant and well, there were well over 50 tables. The manager was expressing concerns over electric bills, despite the cost of charging a battery being pennies.

What do you think about these types of business owners? Have you had similar experiences?
Well, setting a time limit on patrons who visit your establishment is not a good practice. As far as the free charging, don't offer the charging to bring patrons in if you don't want to foot the bill. My $0.02.

Well, setting a time limit on patrons who visit your establishment is not a good practice. As far as the free charging, don't offer the charging to bring patrons in if you don't want to foot the bill. My $0.02.
I can't say I have ever had any experience with these kinds of business owners but I have known others to run into these kinds of business owners.

I'm guessing with the restaurant being somewhat quiet with you being the only customer with that many tables, it would seem his business strategy and how he treats his customers could be why his restaurant is as quiet as it is.
This was the email he sent me. No apology. Attaching to original post.
IMG_2765.jpeg

View attachment 5449
Any material that says you were not supposed to? Why did they not have an automatic timer that stops the charging session after one hour? Sounds like the business owner's fault/problem to me and not the patron.

View attachment 5449
That is unreal and the email doesn't even look professional like you would expect from a business either which is shocking.

I can not understand why they got as they did for charging your e-bike battery as they really do not take all that much to charge at all and that is pretty much common knowledge. Sounds like someone who likes to throw their weight which obviously, isn't doing them any favours.

And you didn't wonder why in a restaurant where they have about 50 tables but you were the only one in the spot? He's been treating all of his previous customers the same way he treated you and none of them will be interested in coming back. With your experience, I can say you won't go back there again.

I do not think that the manager should have had behaved this way. They should try their best to offer the best kind of experience to their customers. If the cost of charging a battery is not that much, then they should have had allowed you to charge the battery. It looks like the manager never even knew how to deal with customers in the best way or maybe he was inexperienced.

When I was younger, basically in adolescence, I remember leaving the phone charging in nearby bars and I never had any problem with it but I never put to charge an electronic bicycle or anything like that, it seems to me that the owner of the bar is a stingy or believes that the electric bicycle will consume the same as a tesla car, I have been looking on the internet, several data show that an electric bike costs about $ 0.20 to charge it completely.

I think they want to charge a fee for charging electronic bike this is reason behind saying this and this is they see client as money entering and leaving their pocket money, not seeing the other side because at the end this is commercial project.

@Shortie @riberet19 @C.Grigg

This was the original message he sent me, in response to my complaint. A bit rude, huh? This was the first time they mentioned it today.

View attachment 5450
Sounds like they may be getting customers confused regarding who they may have told or may not have told. Still not very professional at all though from a business like that, can definitely see why they don't get much custom.

Honestly, as a customer, if I receive that message, I do not go again to this restaurant/bar, in short, there are many more places where you can go to do the same and be treated much better.

As you also say, it is the first time you received such information, so they could have been more cordial if it was the first time you are informed of something and you have not relapsed.

In my own opinion , they have a bad way of disseminating information to customers, there's a polite way of talking to customer in a way that they will understand and feel what you are going through ,
I think the business is taking a heavy hit and the electricity bill is also affecting them , but you don't use that as an excuse to chase the only customer you are having for the day away .

All I can say is that have just flushed another customer down the drain because as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing that's going to take me to the restaurant again for any reason whatsoever. I found the way they sounded in their email highly repulsive because that's not how to talk to a customer who felt bad about how he was treated.

I never have had any issues with charging my phone or laptop in restaurants. In fact, some restaurants even have to charge points on the table and encourage people to stay longer in the cafe. I have stayed in cafes working on my laptop for 3-4 hours and never had anyone reprimand me. I don't have an e-bike, therefore, I have not experienced anything like this. eBikes are also not very popular, and I don't think those who use electric bikes try to charge them in restaurants.

I never have had any issues with charging my phone or laptop in restaurants. In fact, some restaurants even have to charge points on the table and encourage people to stay longer in the cafe. I have stayed in cafes working on my laptop for 3-4 hours and never had anyone reprimand me. I don't have an e-bike, therefore, I have not experienced anything like this. eBikes are also not very popular, and I don't think those who use electric bikes try to charge them in restaurants.

It's the same thing here. There's never been any kind of restaurants here which would make a fuss about charging your laptop or smartphone nor would they give you a time limit you're expected to stay in the restaurant. Once you have bought something there, even if it's a bottle of water, you're free to stay as long as you wanted.

Honestly, as a customer, if I receive that message, I do not go again to this restaurant/bar, in short, there are many more places where you can go to do the same and be treated much better.

As you also say, it is the first time you received such information, so they could have been more cordial if it was the first time you are informed of something and you have not relapsed.

Well, i would also avoid visiting such kind of restaurant. I really do not know whey they are acting this way, especially if charging the battery does not cost that much amount of money. They may not have a really great customer service and they may be more focused on making money rather than serving the customers.

I'm assuming the manager doesn't know much about ebikes and thought they took a lot of juice to charge. And to be fair, I think they have every right to ask you not to charge your ebike. I imagine they only allow charging of phones, tablets and laptops, and didn't even consider e-bikes.

I think it's probably a case of the manager doesn't know anything about the power use to charge an e-bike and won't allow it for that reason.

They're just being stingy and crabby. Also, he obviously has a chip on his shoulder because his business isn't doing too well, with all the empty tables.
Such a big part of business success is how you interact with your customers.
Would you want to return to a place like that? I can promise you that you weren't the first he managed to "scold" just to temporarily blow off some steam and feel better.
In fact, this is exactly how you lose customers and sales.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back