What's new

What is the percentage of ownership that you should have of a new business?

Concerning this your question, my person view is that percentage of ownership will should be dependent on the kind of company or business you're looking at creating. If its a limited liability company then ownership will be as per shares which will culminate to percentage. As a new owner there are different class of shares one can take advantage of. And it's best to have a financial advisor guiding these decisions

In the extreme case that the first two options are not viable in the enterprise, you should always try to have a margin greater than 50% as you rightly say in order to continue to have the superior authority in the company. It is your idea and your venture therefore it is imperative to stay above other shareholders.

Even if I have to sell a part of my business to raise capital to fund it , I can never sell beyond 30% of the company. Some people prefer to sell of about 50% and still hold the remaining half. As for me I cannot go beyond that point.

Well it really depends how much them are getting in the business before the can talk about the percentage on how to share it, the percentage can be share equal.

if the new businesses use the percentage of ownership is 100% but it is a partnership business then the percentage of ownership would ever be 50/50 or 60/40 as the case may be.

I am of the same opinion with you that a business owner should have at least 50% of ownership of the business,this way he/she can still buy the shares of other members.

I am of the same opinion with you that a business owner should have at least 50% of ownership of the business,this way he/she can still buy the shares of other members.
Yes, and apart from being able to buy the shares from the other members in the business, they will also have the final decision in certain business discrepancies and decisions, and this can be a good thing to try and avoid conflict as well, internally.

I agree as well. I think if you can you should keep the majority of the shares, or at least have enough stake in the company to effect real-time change.

I agree as well. I think if you can you should keep the majority of the shares, or at least have enough stake in the company to effect real-time change.
I think that the main concern comes in with investors, as depending on teh size of your business you often need a lot of investors and their shares in teh business can outweigh yours if it is not managed well or planned for accordingly.

Yes, and apart from being able to buy the shares from the other members in the business, they will also have the final decision in certain business discrepancies and decisions, and this can be a good thing to try and avoid conflict as well, internally.
That's absolutely right, having fifty percent or more than fifty percent shares of a business as a business owner is the best way of controlling the business.

That's absolutely right, having fifty percent or more than fifty percent shares of a business as a business owner is the best way of controlling the business.
I think that the only time that people actually have less than 50% of the shares is when they have or require a lot of investment into the business and as such they will then need to allocate shares according to how much a person has invested.

I think that the only time that people actually have less than 50% of the shares is when they have or require a lot of investment into the business and as such they will then need to allocate shares according to how much a person has invested.
Actually true because for a person to have less than fifty percent shares doesn't necessarily mean that the person isn't the major shareholder depending on the shares others in the establishment have.

Actually true because for a person to have less than fifty percent shares doesn't necessarily mean that the person isn't the major shareholder depending on the shares others in the establishment have.
Yes, you have to have more shares than any individual person then you have the majority. The only concern will come in is that if these people decide to work together and then they will have the majority share if they are putting their share power together.

Yes, you have to have more shares than any individual person then you have the majority. The only concern will come in is that if these people decide to work together and then they will have the majority share if they are putting their share power together.
That's actually true coming from another point of view, the important thing is having a say in decision making and authority as a major holder.

Though as a starting owner, what you will be more interested in the money to scale the business but I advice that you should make sure you are a majority share holder there.

When you start a new business, one of the hardest things to achieve in the beginning is the capital that you need to put into the business in order to get it off the ground. Generally when it comes to Capital you can be funded by one of three ways. The first way is to fund the business yourself. The second way is to take out a loan from the bank and then fund the business. And lastly you could possibly look at getting investors into the business. If you get investors into your business then you are essentially selling shares to your business, and they will have a specific amount of say in the operations of the business as well unless they are considered to be silent investors.

What do you think is a good percentage of shares that you should own in your own business and that you should sell out? I think that you should own at least 51% of your business if you are able to afford it because this will allow you to still be able to make decisions as to majority shareholder.
In every company or organization with shares have always sell out 50 pregnant of there shares out and they hold 50% for themselve therefore I cant do something new regarding that.

If its is a good business and you are looking for investors then you might not have a lot to decide in it but you should always be a majority share holder.

When you start a new business, one of the hardest things to achieve in the beginning is the capital that you need to put into the business in order to get it off the ground. Generally when it comes to Capital you can be funded by one of three ways. The first way is to fund the business yourself. The second way is to take out a loan from the bank and then fund the business. And lastly you could possibly look at getting investors into the business. If you get investors into your business then you are essentially selling shares to your business, and they will have a specific amount of say in the operations of the business as well unless they are considered to be silent investors.

What do you think is a good percentage of shares that you should own in your own business and that you should sell out? I think that you should own at least 51% of your business if you are able to afford it because this will allow you to still be able to make decisions as to majority shareholder.
It depends if there is need for you to sell out your shares . Nevertheless , you have to sell in such a way that you will still have atleast 60% of the total shares .

You are the owner of that company, you can make an arrangement with the investors that you are promising to give them 30 or 40% of what they invested every month or year depending on how the arrangement is done, I think this is how it will be done.

You are the owner of that company, you can make an arrangement with the investors that you are promising to give them 30 or 40% of what they invested every month or year depending on how the arrangement is done, I think this is how it will be done.
30 to 40% is really a very big amount. Unless you have your own business, I don't think any other business will provide you that much of return of investment. Comparing with the bank which provides only 7 to 8%, we can expect to have at least 20%.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back