Not open for further replies.

pwarbi

Reputable
100 Posts Club
Sep 20, 2016
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
When we are first learning how to play the drums, most of us won't want to spend a fortune and while a lot of the cheaper unbranded kits will be fine to start off with, in order to advance then we are going to have to start investing in decent kits.

I'm sure that most of us on here will be aware of the Tama brand and while it's widely regarded as the best you can buy, alternative brands such as DW, Pearl and Yamaha are also worth looking at and most music shops will allow you to actually try before you buy and that's well worth taking advantage of. While shopping online may be faster and more convenient, when it comes to any musical instrument and especially drums, buying offline from a reputable music shop is the best way to go. Not only will you be able to test out what's available, but you'll also be able to get more detailed advice as to what is right for you.

I'm sure that we all want to play the same brand of drums as what our hero's play, but buying a Ludwig set of drums isn't going to suddenly make us play like Ringo Starr, so always try and keep your options open and try before you buy. What kit works and sounds best to others, may not be what's best for you.

Buying a cheap brand, even for performance, might be OK for a beginner but beware of the cymbals. Cheap cymbals might be fine for practice but not performance. However, I've heard some metal bands use cheaper cymbals. Therefore, maybe some people don't notice or maybe that genre can be an exception.

Oh, by the way, I don't really know any cheap brands of cymbals, but the main companies make cheaper cymbals along with higher quality ones.

I guess it also depends on what a persons budget is, and what they consider cheap as well. Even starter drum kits can be relatively expensive for those that think they want to give it a go. While you can walk into a music store and pick up a guitar for hardly anything these days a drum kit is on a different level and I think a few people will baulk at the price even for a basic set so will tend to go for the lowest prices they can find.

Like you say though, that can be false economy and you do tend to get what you pay for a lot of the time. You buy cheap, you gets cheap as the saying goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back