What's new

Have any security questions for new sign-ups?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
When you run a forum, you're bound to run into a few members who aren't real (bots) or are just there to spam. With each forum I run, I ask a security question when new users sign up. This helps curb the fake sign-ups, but I think there are bots that are getting better at answering questions like this. Especially if AI is becoming huge, I could see people adapting AI to help get bots through the sign up process.

Anyway, do you have security questions as a requirement for new sign-ups to your forum?

I've seen security questions like asking to write the name of the forum backwards or write 5 words from the forum's name counting from the back or solve a puzzle where icons are dragged to where they fit in. These are good security questions.

I don't believe I do. I just use the standard security you would expect and I have spam protection on the back end which catches 95% of it anyways.

One of my forums has a security question for new sign up. A lot of genuine users are tricked by the security question that I am thinking of removing it. The security question asks the name of my site, however, a lot of user end up putting the domain name (the website name and domain name are different)

Making use of e-mail verification is one of the best security that you can use on your community because it will prevent any kind of bot to completely sign up and pass registration on your platform. But it is unlikely to prevent human spammers to complete registration because they can easily verify their accounts they want to use to spam your forum.

Making use of e-mail verification is one of the best security that you can use on your community because it will prevent any kind of bot to completely sign up and pass registration on your platform. But it is unlikely to prevent human spammers to complete registration because they can easily verify their accounts they want to use to spam your forum.
Totally agree to this as those bots will have no capabilities to login any email and extract the verification code that is sent. But bear in mind you gonna loose little users cause not everyone have emails for this verification process.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back