What's new

Does bad grammar on your forum bother you?

Shortie

Freelance Writer and Video Game Content Creator!
1000 Posts Club
Dec 6, 2022
USD
$6.0500USD
Biznotes
When it comes to bad grammar on a forum I own, I wouldn't say I let it bother me too much but depending on how bad the grammar is, it can get to me a little.

When it comes to people posting on your forum, does bad grammar bother you or do you not mind it?

It depends a lot on how bad it is, I think if it's just one-off mistakes I won't be offended or anything like that, but I've seen users who aren't able to put two words together without having spelling mistakes or bad grammar, in fact many people communicate through forums in languages that are not their native language, and this makes it difficult to understand and communicate, but there are also tools you can use to have fewer errors, such as Grammarly.

It depends a lot on how bad it is, I think if it's just one-off mistakes I won't be offended or anything like that, but I've seen users who aren't able to put two words together without having spelling mistakes or bad grammar, in fact many people communicate through forums in languages that are not their native language, and this makes it difficult to understand and communicate, but there are also tools you can use to have fewer errors, such as Grammarly.
Grammarly is something I use just to cover myself as it is so easy to miss certain things or even accidentally misspell something from time to time.

I know they offer a paid option but there is a free option which is the one I use and it does all that I need it to. I often wonder if some people are unaware of Grammarly.

I agree that the grammar will become a worry to me when the level of mistakes is pretty high. There are some errors that can be overlooked, but once it is glaring that the poster is not communicating as expected, I will always have to send a pm to remind them to improve.

I do not expect someone with university degree in language to post on my forums, my forums are for general users who have average language skills. However, I have a policy where I clearly mention that the language should be readable and easily understood. Few mistakes are fine but I do not want poorly written posts

It depends on your tolerance for grammatical or spelling errors in the posts. Some forum owners might have no issue with little errors, but others might not tolerate even a single error, whether it's in grammar, spellings, or punctuation.

I think little errors can be ignored until the meaning is clear. Otherwise, forum owners can ask the forum posters/members to use grammar-checking tools to correct their errors/mistakes before posting.

Not at all, unless it's so bad I can't read or understand it. There was a guy at a forum I helped manage back in 2016 or so I want to say. This user was getting in trouble with other users because he was so hard to understand, that when people couldn't understand him, he's start making fun of them, calling them names, being rude and offensive. But it was all his fault as no one could understand him. I was the only one who took the time to read his messages, and even I couldn't decipher some of what he said.

Eventually we banned the guy because he got racist, and homophobic towards some users and I wasn't going to let him continue doing that. But yeah, as long as we can understand what your're saying, I see no issues with it. But if it gets to the point where no one can literally understand you, then maybe it's time that person is removed from the forum or banned.

Grammarly is something I use just to cover myself as it is so easy to miss certain things or even accidentally misspell something from time to time.

I know they offer a paid option but there is a free option which is the one I use and it does all that I need it to. I often wonder if some people are unaware of Grammarly.
Well, I didn't know Grammarly I got to know it thanks to Bizdustry, or rather thanks to @Beelzebub , I'm not a native English speaker, but I put a lot of effort into making sure that my texts are quite well written, because I know that many of the users are native speakers and that bad grammar can affect the SEO of the website.

Some things bother me more than others. I have been a part of different forums over the years and I think the ones that bothered me the most often came from people that were intentionally misspelling things.

Not really because not everyone is from UK, Australia or US or any other country where English language is mother tongue. We all had to learn English from scratch and grammar is never an easy thing to work with. Even natives make mistakes, so why wouldn't foreigners do the same? I always begin with myself. I do make mistakes even I am really trying not to.

If the bad grammar is readable and easy to understand, I wouldn't have any problems with it. There are many people whom English language isn't their first language, it's why I'm not strict against bad grammar from my members.

Well, it depends on the level of bad grammar that is found on my forum that will decide if it is something I'm going to be worried about or not. When it's only a handful of people that have bad grammar because English is not there first language, I wouldn't really mind but when everyone who is posting on my community is having bad grammar posted everywhere, that is going to be a problem for me.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back