What's new

What are the rules when it comes to sharing memes on social media?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
So I know that sourcing where you got an image from is the right thing to do on social media, in fact, it's even better to reach out to a creator and ask for permission. But, most people tend to share memes, as that's the nature of them, to go viral. Of course some people like to be credited for their memes, and that's totally fine.

Is there any risk to sharing a meme without crediting the original creator? Can you get in trouble for sharing other peoples memes without first asking for permission and also tagging them?

Most images/photographs used in memes are copyrighted, thus distributing them without permission constitutes an infringement. Furthermore, as stated in section 14 (c) of the Act, the Copyright Law gives the right holders the sole authority to do or authorise someone else to do a replica of their copyrighted work

I think it depends on the platform as well as what country you live in. In most cases, it would cost more money to take an issue to court than would be received which is why people who end up in memes rarely do anything about it legally speaking.

Social media these days seems to be an open source for all sorts. Funny thing is these memes and the likes wouldn't be used for anything other than fun related. I've hardly heard of someone being sued these days.

The rules guiding sharing of memes is regulated my the medium it's being shared. Some media's will not allow the use of offensive words in memes or deformative words in form of memes.

The rules guiding sharing of memes is regulated my the medium it's being shared. Some media's will not allow the use of offensive words in memes or deformative words in form of memes.
memes are very fun and can really crack you up when you are having a bad day, but it should be greatly regulated, as it can be easily abuse and can also use as a medium for defamation

memes are very fun and can really crack you up when you are having a bad day, but it should be greatly regulated, as it can be easily abuse and can also use as a medium for defamation

Each and every kind of social media have iys own rules and this is why they have different kinds of restrictions as well. Many people might not be aware of such rules.

Sharing memes on social media is common here in my country and I don't believe there's any rule regarding that , because I can see a meme and decided to share it on my post , though there might be a rule on it that we don't know.

So I know that sourcing where you got an image from is the right thing to do on social media, in fact, it's even better to reach out to a creator and ask for permission. But, most people tend to share memes, as that's the nature of them, to go viral. Of course some people like to be credited for their memes, and that's totally fine.

Is there any risk to sharing a meme without crediting the original creator? Can you get in trouble for sharing other peoples memes without first asking for permission and also tagging them?
Definitely, there is a danger associated with disseminating a meme without the owner ’s permission. As the meme's originator is the owner of the copyright to the material, doing so can be regarded as intellectual property theft.

I think it depends on the platform as well as what country you live in. In most cases, it would cost more money to take an issue to court than would be received which is why people who end up in memes rarely do anything about it legally speaking.
I don't think we have any kind of rule here but you should make sure that you do not share any meme that is going to make some people shout or that will make them call you on

I try to avoid anything that would take me to a court of law, as this is a scenario that I don't want because you would bw incurring big expenses that could be easily avoided.

Personally, I have never heard about any kind of rules that is involved with sharing memes on social media platforms because as long as I've been making use of memes, I have always shared it without attributing anything to anybody. Nobody has ever contacted me for making use of their content without attributing it to them.

I think it is okay to reshare someone else's content posted on social media as long as the post does not violate social media usage policy. However, when you are sharing on your own, you need to be sure that the image is not copyrighted. In the case of memes, you need to see if sharing is allowed or not.

I have not seen anyone sue another for sharing a meme over here in my country. It may be a big issue in some other countries, but it is certainly different here as I see everyone caring less about what happens with sharing memes right here in the country.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back