What's new

Was Twitter rebranding a way to get ahead of Threads?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
I'm sure you all know by now, but Twitter recently rebranded to TwitterX or just X. Though the site domain still goes to Twitter.com, x.com also works. Anyway, I'm starting to think that these changes were done to twitter to quiet the talk about Threads, which came out recently and has blown up in terms of amount of users using it. Anyway I think Elon did this to try and pull attention away from Threads.

What do you think? Because so far all he changed was the logo to an X.

Not really. I guess Elon Musk is just flexing his billions. Not really competing. When you get that rich, you just want to experiment. Look at the guys who paid $250,000 to die in the Titan thing. Threads is not a valid threat to Twitter. But yes, there is need to improve the UI.

Elon Musk has always been the kind of person to show off how much money he has and I believe by changing the name of Twitter to just X and then buying the domain x.com that was his way of showing off his billions.

Buying a domain such as x.com wouldn't have been cheap at all and then getting logos made and such as well would have been costly.

I don't think he made these changes because of Threads but I do feel he is feeling a little threatened by Threads at the moment with his reaction after they launched.

The bottom line is that Elon Musk doesn't know what he's doing any more with Twitter. He kept poking with everything on Twitter till Mark Zuckerberg rolled out Threads. He was greatly rattled and ever since then, it's been from one bad decision to another.

Elon Musk has always been the kind of person to show off how much money he has and I believe by changing the name of Twitter to just X and then buying the domain x.com that was his way of showing off his billions.

Buying a domain such as x.com wouldn't have been cheap at all and then getting logos made and such as well would have been costly.

I don't think he made these changes because of Threads but I do feel he is feeling a little threatened by Threads at the moment with his reaction after they launched.
I'm assuming he owned x.com before he rebranded Twitter to X, because I heard he had attempted to change PayPal to X.com back when PayPal started. I bet he had the domain this whole time and was waiting to finally use it.

I'm assuming he owned x.com before he rebranded Twitter to X, because I heard he had attempted to change PayPal to X.com back when PayPal started. I bet he had the domain this whole time and was waiting to finally use it.

Some years ago, I never know Elon Musk owned PayPal until I came across an article where someone talked about it. If he tried to change PayPal to X.com, then it supports my assessment that it was never down to strategy he's changing Twitter to X.com. He didn't have 100% ownership of PayPal and that's why he couldn't change it to X.com but with Twitter, he can do as he wanted.

Threads had a big surge when it was launched which is something that should be expected because it's how every new competition's product react in the market.

Users had a taste and feel of it but it's not ripe to give them more than what Twitter gives. After getting a taste of Threads, they are all back to Twitter. With or without the rebranding, Twitter would have still stayed ahead of Threads.

But yes, there is need to improve the UI.

It was something that was definitely bound to happen at one point in time which it doesn't matter if Elon Musk bought Twitter or it still remained in the ownership of Jack Dorsey, the User Interface was definitely due to be upgraded.

I do not think Twitter rebranded just because it wanted to become better than Threads, I believe Musk has the plan to rebrand ever since he wanted to acquire the platform. Businesses are not rebranded overnight.

For Elon Musk to decide on acquiring ownership of Twitter, he already had plans for the social media platform. There's no way he would spend $44 billion on Twitter not to have a big plan on how he wants to shape the social media platform.

Some years ago, I never know Elon Musk owned PayPal until I came across an article where someone talked about it. If he tried to change PayPal to X.com, then it supports my assessment that it was never down to strategy he's changing Twitter to X.com. He didn't have 100% ownership of PayPal and that's why he couldn't change it to X.com but with Twitter, he can do as he wanted.
Yup, He wanted to change the name to X, and I don't quite get why. I guess he's got SpaceX, so maybe he wanted to make something like Social Media X, and then every other venture he's in will be called X lol. I don't know.

It's just weird to me that Elon wants to take away brand recognition only to change the name of his site to X. Just doesn't make sense.

For Elon Musk to decide on acquiring ownership of Twitter, he already had plans for the social media platform. There's no way he would spend $44 billion on Twitter not to have a big plan on how he wants to shape the social media platform.
Except he didn't intend to buy Twitter to begin with. He put in a bid, and was literally forced to go through with the purchase when he originally wanted to cancel his purchase. But I think it was the FTC that forced him to complete his original deal. He didn't plan to buy it, he screwed himself over by putting in a way too big of a bid, and got stuck with said bid and was forced to legally pay it.

He may have had plans, but he didn't intend to spend $44Billion on twitter. That's why he's made all of these dumb changes, because he wants to recoup his investment as quickly as possible. That's just not going to happen.

Yup, He wanted to change the name to X, and I don't quite get why. I guess he's got SpaceX, so maybe he wanted to make something like Social Media X, and then every other venture he's in will be called X lol. I don't know.

It's just weird to me that Elon wants to take away brand recognition only to change the name of his site to X. Just doesn't make sense.

Except he didn't intend to buy Twitter to begin with. He put in a bid, and was literally forced to go through with the purchase when he originally wanted to cancel his purchase. But I think it was the FTC that forced him to complete his original deal. He didn't plan to buy it, he screwed himself over by putting in a way too big of a bid, and got stuck with said bid and was forced to legally pay it.

He may have had plans, but he didn't intend to spend $44Billion on twitter. That's why he's made all of these dumb changes, because he wants to recoup his investment as quickly as possible. That's just not going to happen.

It might seem like Elon Musk overspent on what he paid for Twitter right now but I can tell you that on the long run, he's going to easily make more money he would ever want from the social media platform. Facebook made about $116.6 billion USD in 2022 and made $117.9 billion USD in 2021. Twitter doesn't make that amount yet but I believe that Elon Musk will build on that.

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back