What's new

Is it a good idea or bad idea to allow politics on a forum?

glitch

beep boop
1000 Posts Club
Mar 16, 2022
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
A friend of mine told me that this is what ended up ruining his forum. People wanted to talk about politics so he made a separate section on his forum for it and within 6 months, half the people left and the rest were constantly arguing while a few were caught in the crossfire. He ended up shutting it down last year. Is it a good idea or bad idea to allow politics on a forum?

I avoid politics in real life, it's not what I would put more attention in forums. Political discussions on forums are not where I enjoy most and I don't partake in such discussions on forums. Politics and political discussions stresses me out.

Depends on the kind of websites you are running. I have a lifestyle forum and I do not find political discussions on my lifestyle forums, however, on my forum on investment niche, there are no rooms for political discussions. However, I am particular about trhe kind of political discussions, I will not allow extremism.

The nature of the political discussion that is being carried out in my community is what is going to determine if I am going to allow it to be going on or shutdown immediately. This is because if it is something that is likely to breed chaos, I will not allow that to go on and cause a very big problem for my community.

I think it is a dangerous area. For instance, russia vs ukraine war. Some people condemn, some people will check the background and say "well, russian citizens were molested, tortured and killed for 8 years before the attack. They did right thing".

So, same can go with israel and palestine.
Another one is abortion question, liberals vs democrats.

I think it is a dangerous area. For instance, russia vs ukraine war. Some people condemn, some people will check the background and say "well, russian citizens were molested, tortured and killed for 8 years before the attack. They did right thing".

So, same can go with israel and palestine.
Another one is abortion question, liberals vs democrats.

Political and religious discussion can actually be very sensitive which is the reason why before you allow such a discussion to go on in your community, you should have some common ground rules that you have set for those who are participating in that kind of discussion. This is so that everybody knows how they are supposed to take it, so that things doesn't get out of hand.

Political and religious discussion can actually be very sensitive which is the reason why before you allow such a discussion to go on in your community, you should have some common ground rules that you have set for those who are participating in that kind of discussion. This is so that everybody knows how they are supposed to take it, so that things doesn't get out of hand.
Recently i signed up on a religious forum and one member have hate speech against islam and muslims. Administrator did NOTHING.

Recently i signed up on a religious forum and one member have hate speech against islam and muslims. Administrator did NOTHING.

This is exactly what I'm talking about because if you're the kind of person that something like this is going to flare up, it will result in heated exchange of words that is going to cause serious problems in the platform. All these would have been avoided if the administrators had set ground rules on how people should take part in discussions about religion in the community.

At first i was hyped about forum but in 2 days i saw hate speech is allowed so it makes no sense to stay there

It is very unfortunate that the owner of the community doesn't really know much when it comes to how to run a platform. With what is going on on the platform, I don't see it as something that is going to last long if they continue having a lot of hate speech on discussions that's been carried out there. People will always come there and they will always leave.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back