Is a persona protected by law?

glitch

beep boop
1000 Posts Club
Mar 16, 2022
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
A friend of mine mentioned that his younger brother was a streaming and YouTuber. He also was growing popularity on social platforms for his content. Someone else basically stole his entire concept and internet persona and he has seen a sharp decline in not only views but revenue. He found out someone had done this and they are now doing better than him. Is something like an online persona protected by law of any kind?

I'm not sure to the extent this protection is allowed but I'll advise your brother to sue instead. This is part of the reasons Elon Musk wants to ban those who do not specify that their accounts are parody on Twitter.

The right of publicity prevents the unauthorized commercial use of an individual's name, likeness, or other recognizable aspects of one's persona. It gives an individual the exclusive right to license the use of their identity for commercial promotion.

The first binding international instrument which protects the individual against abuses which may accompany the collection and processing of personal data, and which seeks to regulate at the same time the transfrontier flow of personal data.

A friend of mine mentioned that his younger brother was a streaming and YouTuber. He also was growing popularity on social platforms for his content. Someone else basically stole his entire concept and internet persona and he has seen a sharp decline in not only views but revenue. He found out someone had done this and they are now doing better than him. Is something like an online persona protected by law of any kind?
In general, online personas and digital identities are not specifically protected by any laws. Nonetheless, there exist regulations that safeguard private information and may be applicable in some circumstances. Likewise, when someone uses another user's identity or information without that person's consent, copyright laws may also be enforced.

The only thing I think he can do is to report the account of the person copying him to the platform he is been Facebook or YouTube as I believe that is the only body that would take appropriate action.

The only thing I think he can do is to report the account of the person copying him to the platform he is been Facebook or YouTube as I believe that is the only body that would take appropriate action.

I think that reporting might help. However, the rules and regulations related to persona might be different when it comes to social media companies. So, this is something that he must consider first.

I think that reporting might help. However, the rules and regulations related to persona might be different when it comes to social media companies. So, this is something that he must consider first.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this and I do not really know so much about this topic but I have learnt from what you all have said and I will still go online to check it

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back