What's new

How do you deal with an insecure boss with a chip on the shoulder?

MizzLala

Loves people and life :)
1000 Posts Club
Nov 12, 2020
USD
$0.0250USD
Biznotes
In my last job, I had a very difficult line manager who turned everything into a huge debate. He also held very outdated views, had wandering hands and claimed to know everything from customer service to finance, technical, IT and sales - but never delivered anything of substance. Basically a Jack of all trades master of none type of character. I would always tell him when he was wrong and give him solid points to back my case. While everyone always agreed with me and gave me props for pulling him up on all of this, not everyone had the courage to do the same for fear of losing their jobs.

Have you ever had a boss like this? How did you manage the situation? Which side of the fence do you fall on - would rather be a 'yes man' and just do as you're told to keep your job or do you prefer to stand up for yourself and state your case? I'm curious to hear all your views.

You have to be patient with him and do what he wants, but don't allow him get to you personally just keep it on the work level. And try finding another place, peace of mind over everything.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience but unfortunately in 2020 most are based on acquaintances and reach the respective degrees, when they have nothing to do with that field. I know how it is, I went through this too but I always defended my image and my opinion (especially if I had evidence and I knew for sure that what I say / do is true). they are also a tougher type of character who does not give back. I rely on my knowledge, I know when I'm right and I protect my image, be it in front of bosses or friends.

People like this are followed with calm mind. At times you don't necessarily need to approach him especially after he is the admant type. You just have to allow him see his mistake by himself

Unless you have other source of income that can make you quit that job, you just need to be patient with that kind of a boss, people like them always feel they know it and ALAS they know nothing

When dealing with an insecure boss, one have to be very careful. Most bosses are insecure just because they feel you're not capable enough to do things without being supervised so it's best to let them know how reliable you can be at all times.

In my last job, I had a very difficult line manager who turned everything into a huge debate. He also held very outdated views, had wandering hands and claimed to know everything from customer service to finance, technical, IT and sales - but never delivered anything of substance. Basically a Jack of all trades master of none type of character. I would always tell him when he was wrong and give him solid points to back my case. While everyone always agreed with me and gave me props for pulling him up on all of this, not everyone had the courage to do the same for fear of losing their jobs.

Have you ever had a boss like this? How did you manage the situation? Which side of the fence do you fall on - would rather be a 'yes man' and just do as you're told to keep your job or do you prefer to stand up for yourself and state your case? I'm curious to hear all your views.
I am the kind of person who prefers to stand up for myself and state my case. I would have done the same thing you did there. The boss may not like to be told the truth but it is best that they know. Then of course try to be patient with such kind of people such that you don't end up fighting with them?.

Personally, I had a far from easy experience with a boss, in the end we all thought he was bipolar, we got together and faced the situation, we managed to get him to resign, it was all a slow process, but I remained firm in my convictions, always maintaining respect to the authority and trying to understand which was the most correct way out. If the boss had stayed in office, surely I would have quit my job.

I do understand this situation very well but in my own case, he just went ahead and developed a kind of resentment towards me and after a while I had to quit the job for the sake of my own sanity.

I’d advise you device a strategy to make him see things from your point of view in a cooler way..you can never win an argument..always assure him that you understand his opinion and they’re right but there’re other additions

You have to be patient with him and do what he wants, but don't allow him get to you personally just keep it on the work level. And try finding another place, peace of mind over everything.
So, just to be clear, do you mean being patient with him bullying you and while at it, letting his hands wander, basically sexually harassing you? There's no way I'd allow that LOL
Post automatically merged:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience but unfortunately in 2020 most are based on acquaintances and reach the respective degrees, when they have nothing to do with that field. I know how it is, I went through this too but I always defended my image and my opinion (especially if I had evidence and I knew for sure that what I say / do is true). they are also a tougher type of character who does not give back. I rely on my knowledge, I know when I'm right and I protect my image, be it in front of bosses or friends.

Thanks so much :) You sound similar to me. As long as I know I'm right, I refuse to back down. For me, the main thing is doing the right thing for the company, which I believe it should always be, not egos. That's exactly what happened with my last job. Before they could squeeze me out, I left of my own accord and on my own terms. Do I miss it? Not at all - it was the best decision I ever made.

Personally, I had a far from easy experience with a boss, in the end we all thought he was bipolar, we got together and faced the situation, we managed to get him to resign, it was all a slow process, but I remained firm in my convictions, always maintaining respect to the authority and trying to understand which was the most correct way out. If the boss had stayed in office, surely I would have quit my job.

I totally agree with you and that's exactly how I would have handled that situation. I always say as long as you state your case RESPECTFULLY and without malice, then you should never be scared remain firm in your convictions.

I do understand this situation very well but in my own case, he just went ahead and developed a kind of resentment towards me and after a while I had to quit the job for the sake of my own sanity.
Some people are just nasty! I'd have also quit for my own self-preservation. Your wellbeing is way important than a job that comes with a toxic environment.

I’d advise you device a strategy to make him see things from your point of view in a cooler way..you can never win an argument..always assure him that you understand his opinion and they’re right but there’re other additions
So, even when he's dead wrong, you suggest we just humour him? Wouldn't that set a bad precedent?

Last edited:
It is not usually easy handling such people. I believe that you should do what they ask you to do , then in your leisure time, talk to them and let them understand they are wrong.

It's not at all easy to deal with a manager who wouldn't want to listen. I really don't like my current manager but he is efficient. More like he tries to make us work a lot to get himself the best manager award again.

He doesn't care if we are falling sick too often and he only wants the job done. I tried talking to him about the workload and he told me that he used to work more than 15 hours a day when he was my age. I am trying to get a release from this project, to not to confront him anymore.

It's not about the job related stuff but people get targeted a lot if they go against their managers, over here.

Hello, in every place we will find that kind of people, I had a similar experience and learned to always go one foot further, I always went ahead and the possible events and had my foundations founded, it usually happens when the people in charge are older or they have a lot of time in the company, som very structured people.

Hello, in every place we will find that kind of people, I had a similar experience and learned to always go one foot further, I always went ahead and the possible events and had my foundations founded, it usually happens when the people in charge are older or they have a lot of time in the company, som very structured people.

It wasn't the case in my situation. My line manager wasn't that much older than me, was absolutely clueless yet claimed to know everything from customer service, to sales, IT, accounts etc. What's worse, he'd steal some of my ideas and pass them off as his own. He was far from structured.

You chose to do the best

You chose the best thing i could have done if i put myself in your shoes,i like standing for truth and for my rights when it comes to that.I better lose my job by standing up for my case
You can't please the boss forever

That's exactly my sentiment because if you keep bending over backwards for a boss who doesn't even appreciate it, you're setting a very bad precedent. They, in turn, will just keep pushing you to the limit and then just where do you draw the line? By then it's too late.

Last edited:
Well you're mot alone, it's most common problem and only thing you can do it either you correct him and make him angry or just say yes and finish the talk. I have same here but thanks to Workplace rules we can challenge them without any problems.

I had to cope with two boss like that, but i put them in there place with my actions and talk, so they dont pass boundaries
Good for you!?? Sometimes it just has to be done. If you don't, you leave yourself open to abuse because people start to think you're their own personalised doormat. I'm like you, I don't stand for that at all.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back