What's new

Do you delete private message in your forum?

Ja Sa Bong

Staff member
Writer's Staff Team
5000+ Posts Club
Jul 20, 2023
USD
$1.0200USD
Biznotes
I've used forums where the forum owners delete private message over a period of time. I find it very embarrassing because my private messages are meant to there for whenever I want to refer to it. Why would the forum owner decide it's time to wipe my private messages?

I don't delete private messages of the users on my forum. I also do not delete private messages on the forums where I am active. I have been on a couple of forums where private messages were periodically deleted by the owner. Maybe they were doing this to reduce server loads.

I don't delete private messages of the users on my forum. I also do not delete private messages on the forums where I am active. I have been on a couple of forums where private messages were periodically deleted by the owner. Maybe they were doing this to reduce server loads.

Do you say reduce server loads? If they are using this as an excuse to delete private messages of members, what happens when they don't have any more private messages to delete? What will happen to the server load by that time?

Do you say reduce server loads? If they are using this as an excuse to delete private messages of members, what happens when they don't have any more private messages to delete? What will happen to the server load by that time?
I don't know the exact answer, I was just guessing. Imagine a forum where there are hundreds of daily active users sending a lot of private messages. These messages will certainly put a lot of load on the server. I remember, in the past Bizdustry used to delete the private messages after some time. But these days, the messages are not deleted.

If the problem has been solved there is no need to keep it on a private message and then it would take space, especially on some forum like forum coin you are allowed to have only 50 private messages means old messages where the story is ended need to be deleted.

Not usually no. I like to keep private messages where they are. I don't want to end up deleting someone's personal conversations, especially if the conversations are between friends, family or it's even work related or something. I know some forums I was a member of, mass deleted messages and even posts on the site and started from scratch. Not sure why they'd delete all PMs, but it happened.

I would never do it unless somehow someone posts harmful content, offensive, hateful, far too adult or just wrong. We will likely also ban a user for posting content that isn't appropriate. Even if it ends up being in a private message. I know some forums allow you to report private messages.

I don't know the exact answer, I was just guessing. Imagine a forum where there are hundreds of daily active users sending a lot of private messages. These messages will certainly put a lot of load on the server. I remember, in the past Bizdustry used to delete the private messages after some time. But these days, the messages are not deleted.

It's better messages are no longer deleted on Bizdustry. I don't use private message often on forums but the one's I send, they are important. I wouldn't like to come online and find them gone. I wouldn't delete my members DM. I would upgrade on my server to allow them room to keep their DMs.

Forumotion offers limit up to 200 messages so I tend not to delete them until it is almost full.

I was not even aware of this information that you just provided right now and I'm having a lot of messages on that forum because I usually have so many clients that are sending me messages for several jobs that I need to do for them. I'll have to go back and see the messages that are no longer relevant and have them deleted.

I was not even aware of this information that you just provided right now and I'm having a lot of messages on that forum because I usually have so many clients that are sending me messages for several jobs that I need to do for them. I'll have to go back and see the messages that are no longer relevant and have them deleted.
You have to set this in your AP. General - Messages and emails - Private messages and there you see limit is 200. Depends what you set, default is as you can see in this image.

1698506295829.png

You have to set this in your AP. General - Messages and emails - Private messages and there you see limit is 200. Depends what you set, default is as you can see in this image.

View attachment 6218

Thank you so much for this update. It's going to be very helpful for me. This is one of reasons why I love making use of forum. You can get taught really quick on something that's giving you a challenge by members willingly. You're awesome my friend.

Thank you so much for this update. It's going to be very helpful for me. This is one of reasons why I love making use of forum. You can get taught really quick on something that's giving you a challenge by members willingly. You're awesome my friend.
I am using forumotion forums for years. Pretty much I know all of their features xD

I am using forumotion forums for years. Pretty much I know all of their features xD

That's cool. I started using their services from December 2018. It's not been too long, so I still have a lot of catch up to do using their services. Although, with my recent experiences from the admin team, I'm withdrawing to only selling my services on the platform.

If the problem has been solved there is no need to keep it on a private message and then it would take space, especially on some forum like forum coin you are allowed to have only 50 private messages means old messages where the story is ended need to be deleted.

Yes, I agree. If a problem DM which have been followed up and resolved, there's no need keeping the DM if it's going to take up server space. Forum owners recommend creating a support ticket for problem issues instead of sending a DM.

The only time I ever deleted them was when I sold a forum to someone else and the reason I deleted them was to protect the members. They were told ahead of time they were being removed. They were not looked at, just bulk deleted on the back end.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back