What's new

Can you sell off your code instead of the site?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
Let's say someone took interest in your website, and they liked the style and design and they wanted to buy your site. But instead, you offer to sell him your code, so long as you edit it to make it his own. Would you do that? I think if it was a generic looking site, I would offer the code. And if it was a smaller site, I would maybe consider selling the site off. But it would need to be worth it.

My primary aim of building a site is to sell it off. If someone likes my website design, I will try to pitch to sell my website not just the code. If the seller want just the codes, I will have to deny him.

Either one is fine for me, if the person is just satisfied with the code and not the site, then I could just offer the code to the person.

I don't think that i would ever choose to sell the code because that is the backbone of your website and i think that if you have this you can create more and get better creations. However selling that is giving up claim on that code.

Let's say someone took interest in your website, and they liked the style and design and they wanted to buy your site. But instead, you offer to sell him your code, so long as you edit it to make it his own. Would you do that? I think if it was a generic looking site, I would offer the code. And if it was a smaller site, I would maybe consider selling the site off. But it would need to be worth it.
This will largely depend on what the buyer needs to do with the site. Selling the code doesn't give the buyer full access or control of the site, if this is what they prefer, then to me it is a worthwhile option. Also, if someone is interested in the appearance, and you sell the code only to them, they may find out how it was designed and opt to make their own cheaper.

Yes you can sell it and many webmaster create their on wordpress theme by converting PSD to theme and I did at least twice as I always create themes by myself for personal blogs. If someone interested then I don't mind to sell coding.

Yes you can sell it and many webmaster create their on wordpress theme by converting PSD to theme and I did at least twice as I always create themes by myself for personal blogs. If someone interested then I don't mind to sell coding.
It is good that you are able to branch out in order to try and sell the themes that you have as well because from what i have seen this can be a good opportunity to freelance.

Yes and now a days you can have multiple income source like selling theme, hosting on theme marketplace means multiple user income and I can sell link advertisement too and provide it free to bloggers.

Would not sell my code or my website. Would ask them their requirement and would build them a brand new website to meet all their needs and expectations. Because when we sell the site, we sell the users who trusted us and registered their accounts with us. So selling the website is a big no-no for me.

Yes website selling is not ideal option but selling code is always good option as you can generate multiple income source and you can also have option to use it differently.

I
Yes website selling is not ideal option but selling code is always good option as you can generate multiple income source and you can also have option to use it differently.
I think that selling the website is better than selling the code because then you can make a lot of websites with that similar code and sell them whereas with a code you can only sell it once.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back