What's new

Buying New Or Used, And Does It Make A Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwarbi

Reputable
100 Posts Club
Sep 20, 2016
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
Musical instruments can be expensive as I'm sure we all know, so when it comes to drum kits is there something to be said for looking at the second hand market? A lot of people always say that buying new is the way to go, but then they tend to contradict themselves by saying that drums sound better the more they have been played, so surely you are getting the best of both worlds by buying second hand, drums that have been worn in but also at a reasonable price?

You only have to look at online stores such as eBay now to see that there are literally hundreds of second hand drums about so is it worth forgetting about the new equipment and just concentrating on the used section, and especially if you are just starting out?

You conclude your post precisely with the key words @pwarbi, if we are just getting started, nothing like buying second hand, as we not only save a lot of money, but also can get good quality gear. Sure, we have no warranties, but if we look closely we can see if there is some damage. Nothing like going along with someone more experienced to give us their opinion.

Particularly, I prefer to buy everything new (whatever it is), but I think the quality of something used can be very good too, everything depends only on the state of conservation.

The good side is to save a very good money on buying, because new instruments are too expensive.

New equipment and especially drum kits can be expensive, and that's why a lot of people do go down the route of buying used. You are right @Shine_Spirit though, and a lot of used equipment can sound just as good as new but if we have learned how to play and know that we are going to carry on playing, maybe saving up in the first place and buying new is the best way to go as we can treat it as an investment. We know that we are going to get years of use out of what we buy, and buying second hand, sometimes we can't be sure just how long that piece of equipment is going to last depending on how much it's been used already, so could turn out to be false economy.

If I get a good option at a low price but in a good working condition . then only I can opt for buying it. One thing is for sure that I will not buy it blindly. If I have an option to try and check it or if it offering some minimum warranty against all wear and tear then only I will go for it. Otherwise it is a strict No.

This is something that I really want to know more about as a newbie to this scene. I want to know if it's advisable to get a new or used instrument if I am learning from the beginning and I've never used an instrument before. Also I would hate to get scammed online so what would be the best way for me to start to find a proper instrument for myself?

This is something that I really want to know more about as a newbie to this scene. I want to know if it's advisable to get a new or used instrument if I am learning from the beginning and I've never used an instrument before. Also I would hate to get scammed online so what would be the best way for me to start to find a proper instrument for myself?

I don't think skill level matters as to what drumset (new/used) you buy.

I personally have only bought a new instrument but I can say that used ones are as good as a have tried them. It all depends on how good they were taken care of. My cousin bought a second hand drum set that sounded amazing and was almost as good as new or better. I would by used by comments and experiences I have heard from others.

Used things are tried and tested unlike new things. As a matter of fact, I appreciate old things which are no longer in vogue since they are hardy and durable. The common saying that old is gold applies here in no small measure. But you have to be careful in case of broken parts which need repair and should be factored when purchasing.

It's great to hear that skill level doesn't make a difference when deciding whether to buy new or used instruments. I guess I was worried because I haven't yet learned the basics of maintaining an instrument. In fact, it does make sense to me that used things would be 'tried and tested' unlike new things and as long as I'm getting it from somewhere reliable then I should be just fine with a used instrument.

I think there's a big difference between a used equipment and a new one. But I know that only professional musicians can recognize it. Maybe it can be likened to a car that when you are going to buy a second hand car then you have to consult a veteran mechanic because he knows the tricks. Likewise, in buying a used instrument, it is best to be guided by a veteran musician who has the ear for music so he would know if the used instrument is good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back