Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
I cannot stand when some companies and people attempt to copyright a word or common phrase as their own. Like back when that React channel on YouTube tried to copyright react and then gives cuts to people who reacted with them. Like they wanted to own the react genre, crazy right?

Anyway, it reminds me also of when Bethesda sued someone to have their game Scrolls, changes to something else because they own the rights to the Elder Scrolls. Scrolls was the main concern here, but I don't think they outright own the work scrolls. It's just stupid to me how companies think they can do this.

A friend of mine named his YouTube channel after a famous Nintendo character. Soon as his channel started to blow up, he was ordered to change his name by YouTube because Nintendo demanded it.

A friend of mine named his YouTube channel after a famous Nintendo character. Soon as his channel started to blow up, he was ordered to change his name by YouTube because Nintendo demanded it.
That is a copyright and intellectual rights violation for sure. How can you use the name of a character that you did not create? The name of the character is not an everyday name like Tom, Dick, or Harry, right? There is a difference between fair use and commercial use.

Yup, any name that is close or exact to anything Nintendo, they will come after you. There was a YouTuber who had a Pokemon themed name and she was forced to change her name as it was too similar to Pokemon.

The rule of thumb, never use a brand/name from a major company, or they will force you to change it. Sometimes they might even sue you.

Newest Directory Listings

Vicky1225
Forums
Clicks
Views
Expand your business scale with over 200 million clean IP addresses, stellar features, and affordable prices provided by 922S5Proxy.
Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
Comments
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
Back