Why choose a VPS or dedicated server over regular hosting?

jyy

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Well, one reason, obviously, would be the speed. Another reason would be the fact your site could get a lot of traffic. Anyway, who has messed around with this stuff and how did you feel about it? Well, in my situation, with a top-level VPS, I loved the speed, but it was simply too much money, considering the fact my forums just weren't getting enough active members.

Claraviolet

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Regular hosting will have limitations. It could be with respect to resources or concurrent connections. VPS is like a higher tier and it will have more resources. Of course it is expensive but it's fairly cheaper than dedicated hosting.

Dedicated hosting on the other hand is very expensive. I don't think usually people would opt for it, unless it's needed. Very large websites need a VPS or a dedicated server. A website having 100 users or so, doesn't need a VPS or a dedicated server.

cafediscussions

FunkE

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Couple of reasons come to mind when choosing whether to use vps dedicated servers or regular servers. Vps are more expensive than regular servers but cheaper than dedicated servers and are faster than regular servers. Regular servers are the cheapest of the three but offers some major limitations in respect to the others. Dedicated servers are the most expensive but also the best and are most likely used by big businesses and large corporations.

Romanmam

Familiar Face
Verified Poster
BizNotes
While shared hosting is best for personal sites and startups, VPS hosting wins for larger sites and small businesses. VPS is more expensive than shared hosting, but in return you get more flexibility over your resource limits, as well as greater security and improved performance.

Chumzy

Addicted Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Rugular hosting not bad in any any way but has its limitations. The most notable one is the speed of the regular hosting being slower. If you want your site to grow really big then you should consider the traffic and speed.

Nathaniel

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
While VPS hosting is generally very secure, dedicated hosting offers a higher level of protection. Both types of hosting allow you to install your own security software, but with dedicated hosting, you are in full control of any security breaches.

Royalty

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting is where multiple websites use the same server, but have their own set resource limits on things like RAM and bandwidth.
Dedicated hosting is the big cheese of the web hosting space. You don’t simply get a slice of stilton or a chunk of cheddar – you get the whole wheel of wensleydale. In essence, you have an entire server to yourself

Nomad

Madly Diligent
Verified Poster
BizNotes
I am using shared hosting, I am hosting 15 websites on shared hosting. I have never encountered any issues with my websites, things like downtime, exceeding bandwith, etc. That's because my websites are small

Ralphjoe

Madly Diligent
Verified Poster
BizNotes
This VPS form of website hosting service would be a much more better service than a normal website hosting service and I am considering using it for all the website that I intend to start up soon.

Justin

Seasoned Veteran
Verified Poster
BizNotes
I think by regular hosting you are trying to talk about shared hosting. shared hosting cannot handle big websites, therefore, you need dedicated server or VPS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock