What's new

Where did you find a good drum teacher?

DragonWarLord

Jul 18, 2016
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
Not sure where this should go. :)

Where did you find your drum teacher? Any recommendations on how to find one and how to know they are good/right for you would be appreciated!

I live near a big city, so finding someone would probably not be too hard, but I want recommendations from people who play and have had some experience in choosing a teacher.

Thanks in advance.

Choose a drum teacher whose music you enjoy! Choose a drum teacher whose style matches with what you hope your sound to be later on, as your skills develop. Percussion is very different from other categories of instruments, and thus, the teaching methods used are very different as well. Choose a teacher who you like as a person, but who you respect and admire.
If the local music scene where you live is vibrant, check out some live shows, talk to a drummer afterwards, and see how he or she learned their art.
Not sure where this should go. :)

Where did you find your drum teacher? Any recommendations on how to find one and how to know they are good/right for you would be appreciated!

I live near a big city, so finding someone would probably not be too hard, but I want recommendations from people who play and have had some experience in choosing a teacher.

Thanks in advance.

Choose a drum teacher whose music you enjoy! Choose a drum teacher whose style matches with what you hope your sound to be later on, as your skills develop. Percussion is very different from other categories of instruments, and thus, the teaching methods used are very different as well. Choose a teacher who you like as a person, but who you respect and admire.
If the local music scene where you live is vibrant, check out some live shows, talk to a drummer afterwards, and see how he or she learned their art.

I haven't found a drum teacher because I prefer to be self-taught, but maybe it would help because sometimes I'm good without one and sometimes self-teaching is the better option. Hope to see some more replies!

I really appreciate your thoughtful response. Those are good suggestions. I am not too awfully far away from Nashville, actually, so opportunities to hit up concerts and gigs are pretty high. :)

We also have a club in my town that does open mic nights, and although I haven't ever attended, I have noted that they do sometimes have music, so that might be another place to try. I would imagine that would be the kind of scene that would encourage networking at the very least.

Thanks so much for the thoughts.

Any other replies would also be appreciated.

It's usually best to find fellow drummers in the area and ask around. They would usually know who the good drum teachers are such as an alcoholic knows where all the good bars are at. A good drum teacher will already have a reputation so asking around would make it a lot easier to find one. You know they're good if it's obvious they enjoy their job.

Nowadays, most services are trying to advertise online, as that's where most people are looking. It's definitely the new phone book. However, if that fails to bring up much, then you can always visit a local music shop.

In my case it wasn't difficult at all because I have several relatives and friends who know how to play drums very well. I can say that I have a lot of private teachers (and this is awesome because everything comes out practically for free :p)!

Musically speaking, I'm very lucky! :cool:

In the beginning, i used to self taught myself by learning on the internet and after some days my friends recommended about my teacher.

mine was not learning the drum but i was very curious about learning how to play the piano, i remember i spent a lot of time watching youtube tutorials and practicing it myself but it did not really help me that much, so i left it.

From what I know, there are musical schools everywhere, where playing musical instruments can be learned. The training center is the best place as they enough instruments you can use for practice. I am also planning to learn one musical instrument and as musical school as the right place for me because I don't to disturb People.

From what I know, there are musical schools everywhere, where playing musical instruments can be learned. The training center is the best place as they enough instruments you can use for practice. I am also planning to learn one musical instrument and as musical school as the right place for me because I don't to disturb People.
including myself, i never wanted to disturb people around me to teach me how to play the keyboard, so i was trying to learn from youtube videos, but it was very difficult for me as at then, so i had to leave it.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back