What's new

What to do when someone steals your content?

Nomad

Staff member
40,000 Post Club
Jan 5, 2021
USD
$2.0000USD
Biznotes
Content theft is a great problem for website owners. Here are some of the things to do when your website content is stolen.

Write to the person who stole your content and ask him to remove.

Write to the web host and ask to take action against the person

File a case on Digital Millennium Copyright Act

If it happens I'll contact the culprit first asking him/ her to take it down but of they refuse them I'll take it up by filling a case on the Digital Milenium Copyright act

Please explain how Digital Millennium Copyright Act work? I mean what happens if I file a case. Will the content be removed, will the thief penalized?

Digital Millennium Copyright Act will allow you stolen content to be blocked on search engines. However, it is still accessible through URL.

So, the site owner can still drive traffic to the stolen content through social sites. Will he be able to monetize his site with stolen content

If he already has ads, he can continue to run ads even on the page with stolen content. If he applies to ad networks with stolen content on his website, it will be rejected

Based on what you have said I think if someone steals content for his new website, it will not work for him. Bit if he already has a website that is running ads, he can get away with it.

What the person will do is to report is to the police so to know what action to take about the situation, also you have to write to the website host to take action about the matter.

Well, initially I will politely ask the person to remove my content. If he or she refuses then I will warn him or her for the last time. If they do not listen to me, then I will file a complaint to the relevant authorities. I usually do not want to get into disputes as I am a kind-hearted guy and I do not like to fight people. But if people do not listen, then what can I do except fighting for my right?

The appropriate gentlemanly step I will first take is to approach or reach out to the website owner to resolve this infringement. If nothing is done about it, then I'll have to involve my lawyers for a legal suite to be filed

The first thing to do is to have evidence after gathering enough evidence, your reach out to the person politely if he refuses to do the needful by taking it down and tendering an apology then filling a complaint is the best thing to do.

Content theft is a great problem for website owners. Here are some of the things to do when your website content is stolen.

Write to the person who stole your content and ask him to remove.

Write to the web host and ask to take action against the person

File a case on Digital Millennium Copyright Act
Hmm.... Writing to the person who stole the content to remove the content is the first step. but of the person doesn't agree then you can file a case...

To be frank, I really didn't know how to react when I saw a picture I had taken that was used by a website with no credit to me. But come to think of it, that is just 1 picture and wouldn't harm me, I guess because the picture was generic and the only value was the environment. Some people post pictures without even thinking of the copyright infringement.

This has happened to me many times, people have not only stolen my written content but also images. Once my content was stolen and published on a prestigious website, I asked to take down but they did not

This will depend on how seriously your country of residence takes intellectual property theft. If they do take that law seriously, then it is paramount that you seek redress in a court of law

When someone steals your content you can sue that person and report that person to the content protection board or agency of your country for penalization and compensation for stolen intellectual property.

you should sent him an e-mail and ask him to delete his posts/videos,but if he refuse then you should take a case on digital milenium copyright act

Thanks for this advices , I think the second and third one are the logical because since he didn't message you at first to get permission from you to use your content why you would ask him to not use it

i have seen many websites disappearing from Google searching results because of DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) but they are always available to browse

You can always file DMCA but I would prefer to contact them if they can remove it otherwise you can always inform Google about copyright and it always have best chance to content taken down from Google search.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back