Nomad

Staff member
40,000 Post Club
Jan 5, 2021
USD
$1.0000USD
Biznotes
Using Subdomains Vs Creating Muti-Site
Subdomain is a secondary domain within your website. your subdomain will look like subdomain.mysite.com. By using a subdomain on your site you can create a lot of additional websites within your main site.

Multi-Site is a feature offered by some content management systems where you can create a lot of websites within your main websites. In order to add multi-site functionality on your website, you will have to choose that option while installing content management system (I am talking about wordpress, I do not know about multi-site options on other content management systems). When you create multisite, your website will look like mysite.com/mutisite1, mysite.com/multisite2 etc.

Have you tried to create additional sites within your main site?

Since I have never owned a website, I know nothing about subdomain sites and multi sites. based on what I have read here, I think multisite website is good if you have a lot of users on your site.

Multi site is good option for sites where there are multi users as on ecommerce site. It can be also a better option if you want to create niche site within your main site.

A subdomain would make more sense than creating multi websites. If you create multiple websites, some people won't like visiting different websites for similar information.

When it comes to creating subdomains for your website or creating different website, I would actually pick creating subdomains for your website rather than creating different sites that will be quite difficult to manage several websites than just a website which has different subdomains.

I don't know anything about the topic before but from what you explain, I think the subdomain will be better because it will be easier to control and manage compare to multi site.

I still prefer using sub domains over having multiple websites. One can create giant website as the mother domain and have the sub domains as the arms other the parent domain. This will make the interconnection of all the domains very easier

Multisite Subdomains Require More Management Time. Every subdomain you add to your Multisite network is an entirely different website. Websites installed on subdomains require more server resources to manage and should be seen as separate businesses.

If you are creating a site with a lot of members, you need to either create a subdomain for each members or let them create a multi site. Ranking for subdomain can be harder though

Their is no need going for subdomain domain site, I'll simply go straight with a primary domain and not opting for any secondary option, so I wouldn't be creating sub domains for members.

I'll prefer to creating multiple sites than using sub domains. It would look so unprofessional considering the relatively cheap cost of having a website. Having yourdomain.com/subpage is better than having subpage.yourdomain.com.
If I was a user, I'll not click the latter no matter what.

Nope I haven't even tried it. In fact I must say I didn't even know you could do this. But benefits is there when you own multiple sites from the main sites, it is like having multiple accounts on the same forum.

WP Multisite Subdomains Require More Management Time. Every subdomain you add to your Multisite network is an entirely different website. Websites installed on subdomains require more server resources to manage and should be seen as separate businesses

I personally have never done this because there is a lot of work that goes into it and i think that it will also involve a lot of maintenance as well in order to ensure that each sub site is working completely properly.

I guess this depends on what you want to do. I never was inclined to buy several sites for the same purpose so this is not something I have honestly looked into enough.

Subdomain is a secondary domain within your website. your subdomain will look like subdomain.mysite.com. By using a subdomain on your site you can create a lot of additional websites within your main site.

Multi-Site is a feature offered by some content management systems where you can create a lot of websites within your main websites. In order to add multi-site functionality on your website, you will have to choose that option while installing content management system (I am talking about wordpress, I do not know about multi-site options on other content management systems). When you create multisite, your website will look like mysite.com/mutisite1, mysite.com/multisite2 etc.

Subdomains are typically used to host multiple websites under one domain name whereas multisite is a single installation of a website that serves multiple site from one WordPress database. This allows you to manage multiple sites from one place, making it easier to maintain and update the sites. Each site in the network can have its own domain, so it can be beneficial if you need to host multiple sites under different domain names

Based on the objective of the page, one may decide to use subdomains or develop a multi-site website. While a multi-site webpage is preferable for creating a chain of sites, all of which are tied to one another; subdomains are excellent for creating independent websites that are connected to the primary domain. Furthermore, although sub-domains are constrained to the resources of the parent domain, you have more liberty over the design structure and functioning of the webpages when constructing a multi-site website.

Using subdomains and creating multi-sites both have different benefits and drawbacks.
Subdomains
Pros
Easy to create and manage.
Shares the same hosting and server resources as the main domain.
Good for organizing content into categories or separating a specific portion of the website.
Cons
Subdomains are considered separate entities from the main domain, which can negatively affect SEO.
Can lead to confusion for users if not properly structured and labeled.
Multi-Site
Pros
Allows you to manage multiple websites from a single installation of a content management system.
Good for managing a network of sites that share common elements, such as themes and plugins.
More flexible and scalable than using subdomains.
Cons
Can be more complex to set up and manage than using subdomains.
May require more resources, such as hosting and server space, to run multiple sites.
Can be harder to keep all sites updated and secure.
The choice between using subdomains or creating a multi-site will depend on the specific requirements of your website and the goals you have for organizing and managing your content.

Based on the objective of the page, one may decide to use subdomains or develop a multi-site website. While a multi-site webpage is preferable for creating a chain of sites, all of which are tied to one another; subdomains are excellent for creating independent websites that are connected to the primary domain. Furthermore, although sub-domains are constrained to the resources of the parent domain, you have more liberty over the design structure and functioning of the webpages when constructing a multi-site website.
Do you have any experience with multi sites or even subdomain sites (I am not talking about free wordpress or blog spot sites, I am rather talking about building subdomain sites on your own domain)

Subdomains are more clear than site.com/site1 because for example you could label all subdomains in the main page but in case /site1 or /site2 it could confuse with Route::get('/site1',[Site1Controller::class,'index']) with Route::get('/{id}',[MemberController::class,'show']) so this could be so confusing and could show cannot prepare statement at null when using Members::where('_id',$id). [PHP Laravel example]

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back