What's new

Should I compress every image I use on my website?

glitch

beep boop
1000 Posts Club
Mar 16, 2022
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
I have been told to do this for featured images and larger images but what about general ones? Ones that will be sized down and smaller anyway?

I don't know if I should go through now and compress everything on my new site or just focus on larger images.

Yes, it is generally a good practice to compress images used on your website, as it can improve your website's load time and overall user experience. Large image files can slow down your website's loading speed, which can negatively impact your search engine rankings and lead to a poor user experience for your visitors.

There are several ways to compress images, such as using an online image compression tool or a plugin specifically designed for this purpose. It's important to note that while compression can significantly reduce file sizes, it can also result in a slight reduction in image quality. Therefore, it's important to strike a balance between file size and image quality to ensure your website looks great and performs well.

In summary, compressing images on your website is generally recommended, but be sure to find the right balance between file size and image quality to ensure optimal website performance and user experience.

If you have unlimited diskspace and bandwith with your hosting package, you do not have to compress every image you use. UNless you are uploading dozens of image son your page, there is no need to compress images

If you have unlimited diskspace and bandwith with your hosting package, you do not have to compress every image you use. UNless you are uploading dozens of image son your page, there is no need to compress images
I self-host so it isn't an issue. I switch and upgrade servers as I need to. So I don't tend to focus on this so much but I have been told for load speed, it is important.

If you are using shared hosting, you might encounter website loading speed if you are using too many resources. Blog and forums do not have too many issues just because images are not compressed.

What are some of the file sizes of your images? Are you making them at 72dpi?

You don't need to have images larger than 72dpi for online viewing, but if you were to change to print, then the dpi would need to be increased. Lowering the dpi as well as making sure you're using the right file type for images will keep your file sizes low enough. PNG, JPG and GIF are the 3 basic online file types and are used depending on the image. Most graphics should be PNG.

Try compressing some of the images that you can't get to a low file size and see if your site loads faster. It may or may not be noticeable.

It's generally a good idea to compress images on your website to improve loading times and user experience and find a balance between file size and quality that works for your website. Some image formats compress better than others, so it's worth experimenting with different formats to see which ones work best for your images.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back