What's new

Necro posts?

Keranov

Necro posting is basically reviving a dead thread which hasn't received any answers for a long time. How do you feel about these necro posts?

If it was up to me, I would allow the members to do this type of posting only if the post is useful, adding an actual value to the thread and is helpful. But I wouldn't like spammy threads to be revived.

I wouldn't have any problem with it as long as they are actually contributing to the discussion and not posting something stupid. If they are making one or two-word responses to a thread that hasn't been posted in years then I wouldn't allow that. But if it's a good contribution to the discussion then it's fine with me.

I usually allow it if the response is on topic and answers the original post directly. Basically, I'll let it go if it's relevant to the discussion.
Sometimes if the thread is a decade old and the topic is still relevant, I'll close that one and open a new one.

I'm neither against or for this idea. I would allow this ONLY if they add something useful to the topic, not something which been repeated various times as this just creates spam. On the other hand, if someone creates an Necro Posts and quotes a orginial poster from a topic 3+ years old, asks a question therefore then the orginal posters would of most likely disappeared making the forum look inactive to the new, regular users.

As others have said, as long as they're adding to the discussion and not merely posting for the sake of posting, I don't really have anything against it. Of course, this also depends on just how old the thread is, and whether or not at this point creating another thread would be more appropriate.

I've installed this add-on to prompt users before they make such a post. I've customised the phrase as follows:
There have been no replies to this thread for more than 90 days. You may still reply, but please consider whether it is more appropriate to create a new thread.
A fair compromise I would say, and something I can fall back on to justify a warning if they're being an idiot.. :)

I don't mind it at all but I know some of our long time members get annoyed by it.

I allow it because there are some conversations that might interest a newcomer more than some of the current ones so why restrict his ability to post because it's an old thread? His opinion matters too :)

You never know when the old member might reappear - and I've seen some really good older threads.

If it's something that revives the discussion for good. A.K.A. adding useful information, and causing more people to become active on it for the sake of the topic I tend to allow it. However, if it's someone posting on a year old post saying "I agree" I tend to remove it and warn the user.

I won't allow it though Since it regularly is about an issue that has just been examined and there's either no new data to talk about or the issue itself is not, at this point substantial.

This is particularly obvious when discussing different gaming structures. Frequently the issue being referred to has either been tended to with a fix or rules update, so the entire subject is invalid.

The most important thing in a site is about creating value and if I feel a thread or a topic is long outdated then the best thing to do is to just close the thread for further replies.

Necro posting is basically reviving a dead thread which hasn't received any answers for a long time. How do you feel about these necro posts?

If it was up to me, I would allow the members to do this type of posting only if the post is useful, adding an actual value to the thread and is helpful. But I wouldn't like spammy threads to be revived.
Reviving posts for a dead thread in a forum that can still be of help if posts are made is good for the forum because fresh ideas and comments can still be made that will benefit the readers

I think it depends upon the Discussion topic that either it allow others to contribute in it or not? Small or one or two word answers shouldn't be the part of it. We should not allow them.

I think is a good one tho,to be reviving old post for the new members to be able to comment and learn from. So if there is any plugin who could be doing that automatically I think that will be great tho.

I've seen many metro threads in this forum that didn't receive the necessary response it ought to receive. Maybe the topic wasn't well understood by people, or the section it was posted isn't a preferred type.

necropost is a post on an "old, abandoned thread that has been considered 'dead' for a while...that no longer serves any purpose but is bumped back up to the top of the forums by someone posting in it." Necroposting is seen as a form of spam and clogs up the forums with old and unneeded topics

Necroposting can be a touchy subject because some people think it ought to be avoided because it might result in pointless clutter and repetitive conversations. Yet, some people think that necro postings might be helpful.

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back