What's new

Most Difficult Task(s)

Deleted member 456

Hey guys, what do you consider the most difficult task of managing a forum? Personally, I feel like there's nothing more difficult than trying to be the peacemaker at times. You come into contact with lots of different people with very different personalities, and some people will never get along, no matter what you do. You also have to have the people skills to know how to work with each individual person. Everyone is unique, and they all have different perspectives.

What do you think?

It used to be spam, but now that's a piece of cake even on free software. Anyway, my new project SWC simply confirms what you said.

I think the most difficult task when you are managing a forum is to continue improving and growing it. Sometimes if you run a forum in a overcrowded niche it might be hard to think of new and unique ideas to make your site outstanding to the others.

Marketing and developing. So your budget should be minimum 40% for development, 50% for marketing and 10% for profit. That's the most difficult task from personal experience and opinion.

Marketing and developing. So your budget should be minimum 40% for development, 50% for marketing and 10% for profit. That's the most difficult task from personal experience and opinion.

However, a lot of forums won't invest in expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with some of the other responses but I'd also like to add training new staff to moderate in the same manner I do as being very difficult. I'm very lenient and some of my members come from another site where the rules smothered the users. It's hard to get out of that strict mindset and just let users try to work things out in the threads as much as possible as long as the obvious rules are not broken.

I think the hardest thing about managing a forum is kickstarting it at the start. The first few weeks and even months of starting a forum can be extremely difficult because you have to set everything up, manage everything and find time to promote it on other sites. Convincing people to join isn't easy either

Well, while managing a forum, I have come across several difficult tasks.

1. Debugging errors - it's hard because the website will be down, unless you know what's wrong with it. It could be a simple SQL query or Plugin or whatnot.
2. Peacemaker - it's hard to make everyone agree to some solution.
3. Newsletters - a forums needs users. So unless you try to send out newsletters regularly, you won't be able to have enough communication with all the users.
4. Posting good content - not sure which content would generate activity. It's always a mystery when it comes to content.

These are some of the roadblocks for me.

I believe the most challenging obstacle to come when managing a forum is growth. Your forum may be in a overcrowded niche category, so think - what makes my forum unique to others out there?

It’s all about standing out from the rest of the communities. Free & Paid Marketing is important too.

I'd have to agree, trying to build and grow a brand new community is particularly difficult no matter how good the design, how many add-ons you have installed, or even how much advertising you do. Content is absolutely king these days, if you don't have something on offer to keep your current members interested and coming back for more, you're fighting a losing battle.

I've found that there are a couple of issues with managing a forum. First, is content, I have always found it difficult to post relevant content, even if the current membership are logging in, yet not replying to things as quickly as can be expected. Second, is trying to get use out of a new feature that was implemented for use on the forum, yet no one shows interest at all. Spam and moderation management seems to usually be a less of an issue, if appropriate addons are installed to help combat spam and aid moderation.

A big problem definitely is getting members who post regularly. Well, the ideal is to get knowledgeable people on the topic that you aren't paying or getting from a post exchange. However, though, reality would make us do compromises. Anyway, it's especially important to get people knowledgeable on the topic or at the least, people who are interested and want to learn.

A big problem definitely is getting members who post regularly. Well, the ideal is to get knowledgeable people on the topic that you aren't paying or getting from a post exchange. However, though, reality would make us do compromises. Anyway, it's especially important to get people knowledgeable on the topic or at the least, people who are interested and want to learn.
Yeah, finding ways to get relevant content, is always annoying to do; especially if the memberbase that is already there, does not do anything to reply to that content. I have only found a few forums in my registration list, that has members that will actually reply to content, relevant to the subject at hand.

Yeah, finding ways to get relevant content, is always annoying to do; especially if the memberbase that is already there, does not do anything to reply to that content. I have only found a few forums in my registration list, that has members that will actually reply to content, relevant to the subject at hand.

It's good if a certain number really love the forum and it's a hangout place. You know kind of like a fun social gathering place. Anyway, regarding some subjects like politics or religion, it's easy to get people who love to talk without being paid to do so.

Personally I think the most difficult will be the filtering of low quality, spam and plagiarise posts and threads. You have to choice but to spend hours deleting this spams if you want your website to rank well.

Managing different people on a forum can be very difficult, it's expected that a forum owner must have excellent people management skills as that will enable him to manage the forum well.
In my case, managing people is a simple policy for me, ignoring those troublesome people and if they are still trying to make trouble, I will let them off.

Hey guys, what do you consider the most difficult task of managing a forum? Personally, I feel like there's nothing more difficult than trying to be the peacemaker at times. You come into contact with lots of different people with very different personalities, and some people will never get along, no matter what you do. You also have to have the people skills to know how to work with each individual person. Everyone is unique, and they all have different perspectives.

What do you think?
I think most difficult task to manage the phone is check the people who are posting plagiarized posts are spammin.
Because if you are doing this manually then there is a difficulty to check copy paste posts.

Yea I agree with you. Management and relating with other people is Avery valuable skill that is not easy to learn but can be learnt. Alot of people have their own mentality, biases, preferences and prejudices. So, trying to make all kinds of people from different cultures, philosophy and intelligence to follow the rules and guidelines of a forum can be very challenging

In my experience the most difficult task in the forum is the moderation of the members particularly the spammers and the trolls not to mention that there are forum members who feel so elite that they would criticize no end the posts of other members. I quit one forum last year because of that issue of one member who never get tired of criticizing the post. And I said I quit because that member happened to be a moderator.

Most difficult tasks will differ between people based on various reasons. What could be difficult for me might not feel the same way for you. I remember working at a courier and a logistics service company and it was difficult.

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back