Lending Out Domains

jyy

BizNotes
If you have a lot of domains with no use, have you considered renting or lending them out? Is it rewarding? I mean, why waste a good domain? Also, why not profit from unused domains? Anyway, it might be a rough sell trying rent out a domain, if it isn't highly attractive.

Claraviolet

BizNotes
I don't lend out any domains. Usually I try to hold onto domains, that are similar to my primary domain. Because of that, I can't make others use the .net or .com versions of that domain.

If I no longer use some domain, then I would let go of it. I am sure in some far future, they will be able to fetch good price but I don't want to keep on holding onto them, just because of some possibility. Lately though, I have been thinking about it but not sure whether I will be able to take any action or not.

Joshua Farrell

Community Administrator
Staff member
Management Team
Global Moderators
BizNotes
I have thought about doing it at one point, but never got around to doing anything about it. One of the people I work with, was going to let me use a domain he wanted to purchase for me, with the idea that he gets a small amount of anything I made off of it, but it never got anywhere.

Heck, I think I might do something like that with the domain I have parked.

Ash

BizNotes
I don't think I have ever owned more than 2 domains at a time to even consider this. I like to focus on one project at a time so I never own a large number of domains. If you are offering the domain for free, with maybe something small in return, then it could work. But I don't think anyone is going to pay you to rent out a domain

jyy

BizNotes
But I don't think anyone is going to pay you to rent out a domain
It depends on the domain. However, honestly, most people don't have highly attractive .coms or other extensions with a lot of traffic and/or SEO power.

Private conversations
Help Users