What's new

Land ownership laws in your country

Over here in my country all land belong to the government and also when being sold to you you can only use the land for 99 years and the government can take it back from you whenever they like after the 99 years.

There are lot of laws that is backing land use in my country one involves the use of land 100 years before renewal, and also a land can be transferred from one owner to another true sales.
Post automatically merged:

Every country have their land use and law, Nigerian land use act involves the use of land an ownership of a particular land for hundred years before renewal.

The law in my country Nigeria states that all lands belongs to the government, That is why we must get a document known as the certificate of occupancy to own a land.
That document means that you are just occupying the land for the main time, government can collect their land back from you, but they will compensate you though.
This certificate of occupancy last for 99years in Nigeria after which you can go and renew the certificate.
That is the land law in my country, what about yours?
It like that in most countries, the government always own the land. They only allow you to occupy and use it for some time. Most people will not be alive to renew the certificate of occupancy the government issued for a land user after 99 years of use.

It like that in most countries, the government always own the land. They only allow you to occupy and use it for some time. Most people will not be alive to renew the certificate of occupancy the government issued for a land user after 99 years of use.
The land tenure system in my country is, owner of the Land is accountable to ownership of the Land for 100 years before the renewal of ownership. When the land has spent 100 years the owner of the land is entitle to renewal of the Land

Point of correction dear, lands doesn't belong to the government, individuals own land. Government has their own residential land here in Nigeria. At times they even buy from individuals, or psy some commissions to use individuals for important purposes.

Point of correction dear, lands doesn't belong to the government, individuals own land. Government has their own residential land here in Nigeria. At times they even buy from individuals, or psy some commissions to use individuals for important purposes.
That is a sad reality in your country. Isn't it difficult to think that you are buying land but it is not actually yours? I guess those who are close to the government leaders have an advantage regarding land use and pseudo ownership. Just like in China that all lands are owned by the government but people are used to it.

Yes it is true here too. All the lands belong to the government and if one is buying any land or property, it is very important to make sure the correct documents are attached on that land or property you're buying for your own security

That is a sad reality in your country. Isn't it difficult to think that you are buying land but it is not actually yours? I guess those who are close to the government leaders have an advantage regarding land use and pseudo ownership. Just like in China that all lands are owned by the government but people are used to it.
If the government of our country made land to be owned by them alone, and act like foreign countries like U.K, UK, CAN, AUS etc. It could've been worthwhile.

To be honest this particular land use act is a very mundane one and one that should not even exist because it makes land acquisition and development very hard.

Ok thank you for the updates, understand that online in the country belongs to the government,what they are trying to say is that the government has the right to take over your land if you don't build anything in it, but why do government owns every land including the one i purchase ?

Yes, each Country have their own laws. In Nigeria, when purchasing a land, you must get your certificate of occupancy which is valid for 99years and you must also apply for the right of ownership.

In the United States of America, you can own your own land. Any land that is listed as not owned by anyone, technically is considered the government's land, though the United States does sell off that land to people, if they seek to develop it. Any of that undeveloped land is considerably cheaper to buy from the government, than what it is to get from someone that already owns land.
Same goes for my country also. That's why when any land is purchased, a certificate of occupancy is given and you'll have to register that land with the local or state authorities to ensure that there's no swindling or fraudulent transaction carried out later in the future.

There are some certain laws that govern the lands in my country but most of these laws are not effective or seriously taken into action some are been taken serious though

To be honest this particular land use act is a very mundane one and one that should not even exist because it makes land acquisition and development very hard.
Exactly, this is a method by the government to take ownership at any time If they see a land they can profit from. Like in the case of a land with oil, they can come up to claim ownership. I see this law as a selfish one or what do you think?

The law in my country Nigeria states that all lands belongs to the government, That is why we must get a document known as the certificate of occupancy to own a land.
That document means that you are just occupying the land for the main time, government can collect their land back from you, but they will compensate you though.
This certificate of occupancy last for 99years in Nigeria after which you can go and renew the certificate.

I think in each and every country, the land belongs to the government until or unless anyone purchases the land or the property. Such property could be sold to other people by the owner and so on after anyone purchases it.

The Nigerian Constitution provides that all citizens have the right to acquire and own immovable property. The Land Use Act (also known as the Land Use Decree) nationalized all land in Nigeria, formally replacing the customary system of land tenure. The Constitution incorporated the Land Use Act, which has the effect of requiring any revisions to the Act to comply with rules governing constitutional review and revision, i.e., an act of the National Assembly

In my country, there's what we call a land use decree which governs the use of land. The decree states that:
- individuals of 21 years and above have the right to acquire lands.
- ownership of land does not exceed a period of ninety nine years.
- All lands in a country belongs to the government.
- the state governor or anyone designated by the governor has right to issue the certificate of occupancy.

You are right.
All lands belong to the government and the power to allocate land is vested in the hands of the state governor.
Also, ownership of land must not exceed ninety-nine years.

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back