What's new

Is the percentage taken by market places after a domain sale not too much?

Bookwormlux

Ledgendary Member
5000+ Posts Club
Nov 10, 2020
USD
$4.0000USD
Biznotes
In order to sell your domain name, you have to list it in places like Dan, afternic and the likes. You can also do outbound marketing by reaching out to end users who may be interested in buying the domain name you are selling.
However, after each successful sale these market places tend to take as much as 10% of the amount the domain name was sold for. Don't you think this Percentage they take is too much?

I do not think so given that those are platforms that enabled your sales in the first place. The best you can do is put that into consideration when coming up with a price tag.

I don't think that percentage is too much and that's because it might be quite challenging for them to sell your domain. They have to invest their time and money into promoting your domain and talking with potential customers until they find a buyer.

Selling domain is not an easy task. Than why it is difficult for an individual to sell it directly to an end user hence the need for these agents. The best advice is to, like someone suggested, put them into consideration when making a deal.

I think DAN still takes less than 10 percent of the sale, 9 percent to be precise. In my own opinion, the percent charge by those market place is still worth, consider the trust factor, payment processing, calling, as well as cost of running the smooth system. They make the whole process pretty much easier for the seller who just list names. If not because of DAN hardly would Nigerians make money from domain name business.

In order to sell your domain name, you have to list it in places like Dan, afternic and the likes. You can also do outbound marketing by reaching out to end users who may be interested in buying the domain name you are selling.
However, after each successful sale these market places tend to take as much as 10% of the amount the domain name was sold for. Don't you think this Percentage they take is too much?
10% off as their own gain is whopping considering what you sell. It should be reduced so the domain owner also makes gain through flipping of his domain. I will say it doesn't worth it, the charges are astronomical.

I think 10 percent success fee is ok because you pay only when your domain is sold. What I don't like is the listing fee. If they cut success fee, why they charge listing fee. For example, you have to pay $10 to list on flippa.

I have never sold a domain, but I have sold wwbsitea. when i sell a website I pay 10 percent success fee. For example, when a website gets sold for $400, I pay $40 to the marketplace. While listing the website I also pay $15 flat (basic listing fee on flippa). therefore, I earn just $345 when I sell a website for $400. I am okay with this fee structure.

I don't think the percentage they take is too much because everyone goes into business to make profits. Considering the costs they accumulate in the process of enabling you to own a domain,park and sell domains it is fair for them to take the percentage they usually take.

well, I don't really know much about programming and coding or whatever but from this thread, it's glaring the OP doesn't realize that no business will want to run at loss, if the percentage being taken isn't much, how do you expect then to make their so-called excess profit

Between selling to an end user and the market, which generates sells better and quickly? Yes it is the market, selling domains is not easy, they have to advertise it, contact solicit end users and finalize deal without you even being aware at first. Then when it has been sold they contact you. 10 percent is not too much for their work.

I guess the market for domain name is just fine with their charge or commission because they are maintaining a business. If you think the rate of commission from the sale of domain name is high then you can probably sell the domain name on your own. You can post it in social media especially in Facebook especially if you have a big number of followers who can give you support. Social media is potent with the sharing of the post.

Domain hosting are far too expensive and I believe they should be regulated in order to reduce this level of wretchedness taking place. I honestly believe that this level of extortion is intentionally and tactically or hestrsted to plunge the people into strategic poverty, thereby constraining the progress of the masses.

I use flippa, they charge $10 to list a domain and 10 percent success fee (only when the domain gets sold). I think it is fair to charge 10 percent success fee. I am also ok with $10 listing fee. I do not know about other marketplaces

The percentage commission taken by these domain companies differs. I know that of godaddy and Dan. Godaddy takes very high commission from the sales of their client domains even as much as 30-40% of the sales but Dan takes lesser.

I have not much engage into online business or cryptocurrency business or operation but I strongly believe that every market is established for the purpose of generating income so far business transactions if buying and selling is involved.

Crypto is created for investment purposes. Those who understood how it works gain immensely from it. It is based on experience and not mere instinct nor luck, research is needed to analysis with accuracy.

Crypto is created for investment purposes. Those who understood how it works gain immensely from it. It is based on experience and not mere instinct nor luck, research is needed to analysis with accuracy.
Well, crypto currency has developed as a digital asset but it was not created for investment. Crypto currency was created as a payment form. If you reach bitcoin white paper you will understand.

10% is surely high, did you try looking for other cheap alternatives that offer less rates? the reason why 10% is a must by those platforms is that they are very popular and the quality of their services is high

To me, ten percent is not much for a company to request for when buying a domain as the company would also have to resell at a later time and if it takes too long, they might even make a loss.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back