What's new

How long does it take to learn programming on your own?

It took me 3 weeks to learn Pascal programming and Basic programming in 1 week. But I was already a computer programmer during that time so it was easy. My first programming language was COBOL that I learned in 13 days for 6 hours a day of lecture and worksheet. That was in IBM Philippines which was the traditional classroom learning. Maybe you can learn programming now in 2 months or even less if you will have a tutorial assistance or consultant, the one you can ask if you have a question that blocks your learning progress.

I would say three months on average.

If you limit yourself to a procedural language it can certainly be done in that period.

However, if you take a modern high level object oriented language, it will take more time to master all the aspects of it. Nobody says though that you have to master all aspects of it. If you would just program as a hobby you can restrict yourself to a little less. This means that you forget about advanced techniques like class inheritence, container classes, operator overloading, etc.

It all depends on what you have in mind. If you do not have big projects in mind, a procedural language like Pascal and C will do. Pascal was almost never used for commercial software development though, but it could have changed by now, i don’t know.

Learning programming with a mentor is actually still hard to do not to talk of learning on your own. But it all depends on how fast and how good the materials you are using are but let's say 2-3 years if you are a fast learner

Depends on your ability to learn, if you have the knowledge it will not take you too long to learn about programming, or can learn it from school or other platforms like you can download it and watch it on video,

Well, learning programming those days was quite difficult because u will need a mentor in other for you to learn, but is a different story now, because of the introduction of YouTube and other social media now.

I am not working in this field but there are some courses for this means in academies like they start teaching clasess for some months.
But learning by own is difficult because for this you will study form internet.and it may take too long time maximum 5 to 6 months

Just like every other learning process In general, programming does not have a stipulate time frame of learning, it all depends on the individual, it can be very difficult for some while being easy for others, each person with its own capabilities.
Post automatically merged:

There is no stipulated time for learning programming, it all depends on you, we all learn different at different pace, some are fast learners while other are slow learners, just continue anytime it takes you to learn should be okay.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are trying to learn and how many hours you practice everyday. If you look into Udemy courses, you will see most of the courses are timed for 4-8 weeks. You can choose long term course or short term course.

Most people say that learning a relatively easy programming language takes about 4 to 6 months. It would not be unreasonable to assume that you could learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or Python in that time if you buckle down and practice full-time. If that sounds like good news to you, you're right

Programming is very interesting but however has some technicality. At some point, it might prove to be difficult to learn. Therefore, one has to pay utmost attention when trying to learn programming. It could take a lof months when trying to learn all by yourself even using YouTube because it is wide and cannot be covered in just few time

Nice question, progress is not baby's work I will say again nd again,but it differs from person to person, you are that type that learns very fast it will take couple of years I think because it has lots to offer inside when you start you will understand what I'm trying to say better,and again if u are that type that learns fast with visual I will advice you to stick with YouTube there you can get yourself some videos that will help,and you are that type that learns fast through quildline you can look for a website to see get quildlines

If you have the aptitude and have the motivation to study that much every week I'd say 6-12 months is reasonable to get you ready for a junior programming job, but there will probably still be a lot that you won't know.

I dont think they is a specific amount of time that you can take to learn programming effectively on your own. I think it depends on your passion, dedication and the amount of work you dedicate to learning and practicing it just like any other skill you want to acquire.

Well it depends on lots of things. How much time are you giving per day. Are you doing it full time or you are part of school/college where you also needs to focus on other subjects.
Secondly it depends on what language you start with, which again can be chosen wisely based on your background. Right now Python and JavaScript is two mostly popular languages and widely used too in building modern apps.

I'm planning to start learning programming in the next couple of months. I want to do it by following courses i can find online. Which programs, websites courses would you recommend? And also jow long did it take you to learn programming?
It all depends on your level of assimilation as well as the time spent on the learning process. Online YouTube videos abound about virtually every thing including programming. You can learn from there.

The te or duration you use in learning programming on your own is a function of the resources to put into it, resources such as time, money. Another thing is if you are doing it the right way and sources the right materials.

I think people are still learning. There is no end. Even a wordpress developer cannot go forward when advanced technology or plugin comes he first needs to learn it. But to become an expert may be 3 years practice is good enough.

Concerning how long it takes for an individual to learn programming on his own. Well ,it depends on the type of programming that interest the individual, there is C,C++,javascript, java, html, css and lot more . Like the link dropped above the w3schools.com will help you quite well for html and CSS, you would be taught as a beginner. Your willingness and passion will determine how long you will be a pro in a programming language

I have heard people say that learning a relatively easy programming language can take about 5 to 6 months. It would not be unreasonable to assume that you could learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or Python in that time if you buckle down and practice full-time. If you can do it and your consistent in your learning process, you'll be able to cover most areas in certain programming languages.

Learning things like that on your own could be really difficult. Most times it is often advised that one gets a tutor and make it easier. You could even get an online tutor for a fair price on Udemy.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back