What's new

How do you deal with entitled family members?

The best way to handle this kind of case is to let them know that you are not attaching your business with family issues. Don't sell on credit to any family members and set your rules
Business and pleasure should not be attached together and also business should be separated from family members , so its better not to attach family relatives or influences to business.

I usually do make it out very clear to them that I do have other plans that I am trying to achieve on my own and as such I do not owe them anything.

I think the best way is to help out when you can and when you see that it is getting too much or perhaps they are causing you problems, I suggest you draw a line and make it clear to them.

Family members are a very important element in our lives. Blood relations are those people who will always be there for you and help you standup when you fall. You share a lot in common with this people. The fact is that you can't dispose of them.
However when it comes to running business, family members can be very annoying. A family member might seek your services and refuse to pay you your dues just because he thinks that him being a family member makes him entitled. They can really cripple you business if care is not taken. On your part you wouldn't want them to think that you're a Bad person by refusing to sell or give them services. This can be a very difficult situation to handle. Have you ever find yourself in such position?
No.... I believe the family should understand that the service rendered or product did was not gotten for free, the best I can do Is to give a discount removing profit but they must pay...

Well, for now I have not yet found myself in this situation. But for me, in the future things will presumably go wrong with my brother, with whom, unfortunately I don't get along! But anyway, I can still hope for the better, when the time will comes ...

There is nothing like family in business though there might be some considerations for them in some cases but it is not by force to do it. Business can only survive when families patronise you and pay for what they buy.

I've had a lot of experience with them, especially from my Dad's side. Sometimes its best you ignore them, other times you simply put them where they belong. Open up and tell them how annoying their actions are and if they don't change, shut them out

how do you deal with entitled family members ,entitled family members is the best bad thing to have in a family ,especially if the person is a little bit older than you ,or sometimes even your parents,all that they want is just themselves,I think the best way is to ignore them

Family members are a very important element in our lives. Blood relations are those people who will always be there for you and help you standup when you fall. You share a lot in common with this people. The fact is that you can't dispose of them.
However when it comes to running business, family members can be very annoying. A family member might seek your services and refuse to pay you your dues just because he thinks that him being a family member makes him entitled. They can really cripple you business if care is not taken. On your part you wouldn't want them to think that you're a Bad person by refusing to sell or give them services. This can be a very difficult situation to handle. Have you ever find yourself in such position?
Family members that thinks they're entitled to your wealth or your belongings seems to gain more popularity in Africa. I believe this kind of people are supposed to be cleared without mincing words, that you don't have any obligation to share your wealth or belongings to them. Your belongings can only be shared to them if it was your choice and initio. If they're still battling with you on your belongings, you back off from entirely from all that concerns them, including distancing yourself from them, and taking a legal stand on them.

It can be very difficult to deal with entitled family member. This person will only see you are the one who always right. The best thing is to apply emotional intelligence e to do with these people. Avoid something that can bring argument between you people.
Honestly you are right, most especially African always have this mind set of entitlement, if you are not careful they will make your life miserable

I've found myself on so many occasions like this but it turns me into the black sheep of the family, but I don't care what they say because is not easy for me to make money while doing my business as well.

The best way to deal with them when issues arise is to apply a soft approach and make sure there is justice in treating such issues else you may have to involve external authorities like lawyers etc

It is natural for your family to expect free product or services. If my brother has a clothing store, it is very natural for me to expect free T shirt or a huge discount, but I need to show self restrain.
Well I do all my family members in high esteem so whenever they request for any free product or services from my business I think I will brush them because I know that families are the closest people that we have and they will always come through for us even when we too are in their position.

This is a very annoying situation to be in to be honest . I always try to make them know exactly that what they are seeking is what I can not afford and as such do not owe then that much

Before I even allow any family members access to anything that concern me I let them understand and if I still see that they aren't co operating I gave a one on one discussion with them or part ways

It's true family can have its dramas and people can get entitled when that happens it's important to set a boundary for somethings if you can't accept and help out when you can

I have seen families and relatives of the Chinese owner of a restaurant who are given a discount. They do not eat for free and sometimes the diners even pay in whole as a support for the business of their brother or cousin. That is the business culture of the Chinese and probably the reason why the Chinese are good in business.

I think that this is a very difficult line when it comes to businesses and how they interact with family is because some of them can take advantage of the business that you are getting into and as a result I think it's important that you set the boundaries from the beginning of your business in order to not create expectations later on.
You got a deal with entitled family members by creating boundaries and know when it is important to have conversation on transaction again in order for you to earn your respect.

People can only change themselves it's a cliché, but it's true. Setting limits and feeling compassion are all things you can do to assist them (and protect yourself), but you can't change them. Try to stay as far away as possible. It's one of the few occasions in life when getting the quiet treatment may truly be beneficial.

It will be very important that you should clear them in the first place that you do not owe them anything and as such you have worked for your money and you have the right to do what you want to do with it.

Newest Directory Listings

smmgoal
Forums
Clicks
Views
Esimbuy.org is an innovative online platform that specializes in e-SIM products and services. As e-SIM technology continues to gain popularity for its flexibility and convenience, Esimbuy.org provides users with easy access to this modern solution
Nebulous
Forums
Clicks
Views
Off Topix is the best general discussion community around!
Back