Free Hosted Website vs. Self Hosted Website: Advantages and Disadvantages

Nomad

Staff member
40,000 Post Club
Jan 5, 2021
USD
$3.0000USD
Biznotes
Free hosted websites are the websites that you can get from wordpress, blogspot, weebly, wix, etc. Self hosted website is a website that you build by buying a domain and hosting. Free hosted websites are build on subdomains, for example, yoursite.wordpress.com, mysite.weebly.com, oursite.blogspot.com. Self hosted website is build on a custom domain mysite.com, yoursite.net, etc. Free sites are completely free, however, you need to spend money on domain and hosting to launch a self hosted website.

Advantages and Disadvantages of free hosted sites and self hosted sites

One of the main advantages of free hosted site is you have nothing to lose. While ad networks like adsense does not approve free site (except, blogspot), you can still use Amazon ads and make money from your free site.

You can share your opinion

Last edited:
If you cannot use ads, what's the point of owning a website? I would choose a self hosted website once I am ready to spare some money for website launch.

Not all people aim to make money from website, some people also want a website to build a portfolio or show their online presence.

I am of the opinion that self hosted websites are rather better and more regarding compared to free hosted pages. You tend to shape your skills in that regards in the former.

Both free hosted website and self-hosted web site has its advantages. But it is always best to use self-hosted website in the sense that your side cannot be terminated like the free hosted website. Of course it is yours and no one can take it away from you except you want to sell it.

Free hosted is great if you just want to experiment and see how to do things. Free shouldn't be used if you're trying to make money, because you will want more security with a paid host. Self hosting is a good option, but you still need to be protected via some kind of security.

One of the major drawbacks of free hosted website is you get a subdomain, building a site on subdomain does not look professional. people do not like to visit such sites

It appears that the benefits for a self hosted website to me is more than that of the free hosted website. I will go with the self hosted website instead even if it takes me time to come around how it operates technically

One of the major drawbacks of free hosted website is regarding monetization. Free websites cannot be monetized as ad networks do not accept free hosted websites.

Self hosted website will be more preferable to me than a free hosted website. This is because the self hosted website has too many advantages that a free hosted website can't have especially when it comes to hosting your business website

Free hosted websites are the websites that you can get from wordpress, blogspot, weebly, wix, etc. Self hosted website is a website that you build by buying a domain and hosting. Free hosted websites are build on subdomains, for example, yoursite.wordpress.com, mysite.weebly.com, oursite.blogspot.com. Self hosted website is build on a custom domain mysite.com, yoursite.net, etc. Free sites are completely free, however, you need to spend money on domain and hosting to launch a self hosted website.

Advantages and Disadvantages of free hosted sites and self hosted sites

One of the main advantages of free hosted site is you have nothing to lose. While ad networks like adsense does not approve free site (except, blogspot), you can still use Amazon ads and make money from your free site. The main advantage of self hosted site it is approved by ad networks like adsense, infolinks etc. and you can make money by running ads.

One of the disadvantages of free site is it does not look profession as you have a subdomain. Likewise, the main disadvantage of self-hosted site is you need to be technically sound to operate self hosted site.

You can share your opinion
Thanks a lot for the eye opening contents. I've now gotten the idea of how free hosting and self hosted websites work. Free hosted websites doesn't need technically sound webmaster to execute, even a less-experience person can create it. But in self hosted, technically know-how is needed.

Well, if you are using wordpress, you do not need a lot of technical skills. Self hosted website can be easily built by using wordpress or any other content management of your choice.

Free hosted website is actually good in the sense that you are not paying any money to host your website why self hosted website will require you to part with some amount of money that you have because you will be paying for domain names and hosting fees.

If you are using free sites, you also need to understand that you have limited options to make money on your free site. If you cannot make money, what's the point.

This is very informative,as i would rather go in for a self operated website,though not all persons would be that in for monitisation,but having a professional display and your presence in the market through your site,would make visitors take you serious.

If you want a self hosted website, you need a domain and hosting, and you have to spend money on these things. You will have to continue renewing your domain and hosting every year

If you want a self hosted website, you need a domain and hosting, and you have to spend money on these things. You will have to continue renewing your domain and hosting every year
Yes I agree with you that when you need a self hosted website, you have a demain and Houston and you have to spend money on these things before it can come to reality.

I think a better alternative will be maping a custom domain with blogspot. By doing this you will have a custom website without you having to pay for website hosting

Yes, you are right, if you do not want to use a free hosted website but do not have money for self hosted website, you can map a custom domain to your blogspot.

But I have a question, in case your blogger account is deleted, will you also lose your website that you created by maping a custom domain? Do you have full control over your site?

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back