What's new

Favourite forum software?

XenForo gets my vote.
I’ve used it all-vB, IPB, WBB etc.

I’ve used all the free ones too. Started out on proboards and then phpbb.

xF has proven to be the most affordable and it improves whereas VB changes hands and quality starts to dwindle. VB used to be awesome until they went to IB. I’m one of them that they lost to XF.

What is IB?
IB is Invision Power board some may call it as IB because they don't know short form. Xenforo is the best one at the moment and next IPB as per the uses of software world wide.
I am using currently My BB because it is free with most plugins and themes are too free.

I remember back in the day when IP.Board (IPB) when it was version 1.2/1.3 which i used many of times back in time then went to Vbulletin which i know the dev team has now created Xenforo which i have not yet had chance to use backend wise so for me if it is a free forum i would use MyBB or PHPBB, if paid i would choose IPS (Invision Power Suite now its called).

It all depends on the project and what is needed depends on what i choose, you never know my next project could be using Xenforo.

@bharath the abbrv just a little correction nothing major as it was internet brands that took over vbulletin

IB - Internet Brands (internetbrands.com)
IPB - Invision Power Board
IPS - Invision Power Suite

Their rates have dropped since that post for my licenses i only pay 105 USD per 6 months after the initial software cost, the initial cost is expensive but to keep it upto date is not to bad, Their support is ok, since the bad rep they was given it has improved over the last several years but i think it has taken their community to point out the issues and they have since aimed to solve them.

IP.Board (IPB) was around until version 4 because of the amount of feature they wanted to put in the software they wanted to make it an ecommerce / community suite of applications so since version 4 it became IPS (Invision Power Suite) also known as Invision Community Suite but the official is known as invision power suite

Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan the devs on vbulletin created xenforo and they have done a fantastic job since the downfall once IB took over vbulletin. i have not had the oppotunity to test xenforo backend yet but i was once a vbulletin license holder until IB took over.

What is your favourite forum software?

I really like IPB because there are many features and some pretty nice themes but I use Mybb because its open-source and easy to costumize it.

I like XenForo, it covers pretty much everything and looks the best too, but sadly I cannot afford to pay $160 for a forum software.

MyBB is the best free forum software, and the one I stick with. Like @"mastersly" has already mentioned, it's easy to customise and overall easy to use.

In terms of free software, it has to be MyBB. It's a great piece of software, has some great themes and plugins and is extremely cheap to setup and manage. Paid software wise, it has to be XenForo. Although it can be very expensive to setup, it is such a good software and has some great benefits that come right out of the box.

Ash said:
In terms of free software, it has to be MyBB. It's a great piece of software, has some great themes and plugins and is extremely cheap to setup and manage. Paid software wise, it has to be XenForo. Although it can be very expensive to setup, it is such a good software and has some great benefits that come right out of the box.

Spot on. XenForo is about as good as they come but it is very costly for a forum software, in my opinion.

In terms of free i will go with ElkArte and MyBB. And for paid i will go with WoltLab, as i am using it in my forum i starting to love it.

ARx182 said:
I like XenForo, it covers pretty much everything and looks the best too, but sadly I cannot afford to pay $160 for a forum software.

MyBB is the best free forum software, and the one I stick with. Like @"mastersly" has already mentioned, it's easy to customise and overall easy to use.

I think I have ready made answer for this question.

When it comes to free software, I prefer to use phpBB (Well, even otherwise, I think this is my undisputed favourite) and if I have to choose from the paid ones available in the market, the only answer would be XenForo.

Back when I was into making forums as a hobby, phpBB was very popular and they had all sorts of good support staff, peripheral support websites, modules and themes. I miss those good old days.

I think Vanilla forum software is lot better forum software. Compared to mybb and SMF forum software, you would find it pretty clean software and also you have to think less about customization with it. But if you want to go through paid route then I guess you should consider making use of the IPB and the Xenforo forum software.

My favorite forum software is MyBB. It's a good forum software and not to mention that it's got many plugins to extend the functionality.

Moreover, it is free unless you count the expenses of a premium theme or a plugin. I have been using this forum software for close to 6 years now and it works great. There are a few issues over the years, but the MyBB staff are friendly and they can give you solution based on the issue priority and impact.

Certainly it would be XenForo is you didn't want to do "do-it-yourself" work on improving things. Nonetheless, that can be fun! Anyway, though, with XenForo is always the fact you have to pay - but, of course, nothing that easy will be free.

My favorite forum software is MyBB. It's a good forum software and not to mention that it's got many plugins to extend the functionality.

Yeah, that's my favorite to fool around with lately.

In the event that your objective is lessening client support reaction time or getting item criticism, go with something like Zendesk. It has a network segment, however is HIGHLY intended for client support/making an information base.

vBulletin 2.x and 3.x were awesome, but are now quite outdated and probably somewhat insecure.. I wouldn't even consider vBulletin 4.x or 5.x though from things that I've heard.

XenForo is definitely my software of choice right now. The look, feel, and flexibility is quite incredible.. (y)
I will definitely opt in for xenforo because of its addons and popularity. Its pretty much easy to customize.

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back