Favourite forum software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keranov

Reputable
BizNotes
There are basically tons of forum software out there - phpBB, MyBB, XenForo, IPB, vBulletin and much more. Which one is your favourite? Do you have any particular reasons?

Personally, I like the XenForo forum software. I think it's features are worth the price tag it has. There are a lot of plugins and themes available for it. But if I have to go with a free software I would choose MyBB.

jyy

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Verified Poster
BizNotes
I'm not really sure if any forum software is "bad". I mean, I gravitate toward XenForo and MyBB (2nd choice) because I'm used to it.

Anyhow there was an issue with vBulletin being terrible with spam and graphics, but that might just have been the owner's fault.

cafediscussions
A

Alex

I agree with Jason, no forum software is bad, it's all down to personal preference and choice. My preferred software is phpBB,. I've used phpBB since I was 14 years old when I created my ever community. The ACP is was really easy to navigate and use, along with the basic software layout being very appealing to the eye.

Ash

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
It has to be MyBB and XenForo for me. Which one I choose will always be down to what budget I have. If I have the funds to spend on software, I would love to go for XenForo but the majority of the time, I will choose MyBB due to it being free and having a great collection of plugins and themes available.

Nerdface

Familiar Face
BizNotes
vBulletin 2.x and 3.x were awesome, but are now quite outdated and probably somewhat insecure.. I wouldn't even consider vBulletin 4.x or 5.x though from things that I've heard.

XenForo is definitely my software of choice right now. The look, feel, and flexibility is quite incredible.. (y)

Ash

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
vBulletin used to be so popular and it's a shame that they aren't as popular as they used to be. I used to be an admin on a vBulletin forum and it was actually really good. ACP was good, features were decent but I guess it just couldn't compete with Invision and XenForo. They had some beautiful themes back then as well

jyy

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Verified Poster
BizNotes
vBulletin used to be so popular and it's a shame that they aren't as popular as they used to be. I used to be an admin on a vBulletin forum and it was actually really good. ACP was good, features were decent but I guess it just couldn't compete with Invision and XenForo. They had some beautiful themes back then as well

Did VB - even have a competitor back then (2000s)?

Ash

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Did VB - even have a competitor back then (2000s)?
Not sure really. I think Simple Machine Forums might have had a similar release date to when vBulletin came out so that might have been a competitor. Although when you compare both software right now, I'm not too sure that SMF comes even close to vBulletin at all. Something called Web Wiz also was around back then as well although this is the first time I've ever heard of it.

jyy

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Not sure really. I think Simple Machine Forums might have had a similar release date to when vBulletin came out so that might have been a competitor. Although when you compare both software right now, I'm not too sure that SMF comes even close to vBulletin at all. Something called Web Wiz also was around back then as well although this is the first time I've ever heard of it.

I'm thinking SMF is terrible, mobile-wise, so I wouldn't want to mess with it - but you can buy premium themes (which are mobile-ready, of course).

Ash

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Oh, yeah, SMF is terrible. It was probably not a bad choice back then but right now, it is seriously lacking and behind a lot of the current forum software available right now. To be fair, it was probably a terrible software back then as well which probably helped vBulletin quite a bit.

Xyphien

BizNotes
Xenforo hands down. I've been a XF fan since I was able to afford it. From my first purchase I've racked up over 5 licenses thus far.

bharath

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Xenforo is good for me and the free one as MYBB since they update every time even they won't get money. I am still with Xenforo because it is light weight and easy to handle large forums.

Shawn

BizNotes
XenForo gets my vote.
I’ve used it all-vB, IPB, WBB etc.

I’ve used all the free ones too. Started out on proboards and then phpbb.

xF has proven to be the most affordable and it improves whereas VB changes hands and quality starts to dwindle. VB used to be awesome until they went to IB. I’m one of them that they lost to XF.

bharath

Reputable
Verified Poster
BizNotes
What is IB?
IB is Invision Power board some may call it as IB because they don't know short form. Xenforo is the best one at the moment and next IPB as per the uses of software world wide.
I am using currently My BB because it is free with most plugins and themes are too free.

Alan

BizNotes
I remember back in the day when IP.Board (IPB) when it was version 1.2/1.3 which i used many of times back in time then went to Vbulletin which i know the dev team has now created Xenforo which i have not yet had chance to use backend wise so for me if it is a free forum i would use MyBB or PHPBB, if paid i would choose IPS (Invision Power Suite now its called).

It all depends on the project and what is needed depends on what i choose, you never know my next project could be using Xenforo.

@bharath the abbrv just a little correction nothing major as it was internet brands that took over vbulletin

IB - Internet Brands (internetbrands.com)
IPB - Invision Power Board
IPS - Invision Power Suite

Alan

BizNotes
Their rates have dropped since that post for my licenses i only pay 105 USD per 6 months after the initial software cost, the initial cost is expensive but to keep it upto date is not to bad, Their support is ok, since the bad rep they was given it has improved over the last several years but i think it has taken their community to point out the issues and they have since aimed to solve them.

IP.Board (IPB) was around until version 4 because of the amount of feature they wanted to put in the software they wanted to make it an ecommerce / community suite of applications so since version 4 it became IPS (Invision Power Suite) also known as Invision Community Suite but the official is known as invision power suite

Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan the devs on vbulletin created xenforo and they have done a fantastic job since the downfall once IB took over vbulletin. i have not had the oppotunity to test xenforo backend yet but i was once a vbulletin license holder until IB took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.