Does spamming content matter for traffic?

Dannyjax

BizNotes
I have come across a couple of forums where there are threads like "Count from A-Z" or " Count from 1-100". This a pure spam the way I see it because such content doesn't add much value to the forum but only posts count. But I still see some forum owners allow it. Does it mean that it's got some benefits that I'm not aware of?

eenya00

Eben
Verified Poster
BizNotes
spamming does not help in the long run, as people would not be very interested with the platform as the contents are recycled but i believe spamming helps in seo, not the way the normal seo works, but it increases your site traffic for the time being

Nomad

Ledgendary Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes
Maybe the OP needs to change his view on spamming, if you come across counting 1-100 or A-Z threads in a forum that is not spamming. Forums are not only for serious discussion, forums are also cool place to have fun. But of course spamming is a great issue on forums.

Heatman

Ledgendary Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes
I believe that it's more of a forum game in most cases. As long as the content is posted in game section of the forum if it's available or off topic section, then it's going to work without any issues.

In a situation where there's no off topic section or game section section on the forum and that content comes up, it's definitely a spam because it goes against what the forum is all about.

Dannyjax

BizNotes
Maybe the OP needs to change his view on spamming, if you come across counting 1-100 or A-Z threads in a forum that is not spamming. Forums are not only for serious discussion, forums are also cool place to have fun. But of course spamming is a great issue on forums.
I get that forums should have some sort of relief but counting from 1-100 or A-Z doesn't seem like it offers anything meaningful to me.

Something like How was your day thread is something relaxing to have and it would add something better to the forum than just counting from 1-100.

Nomad

Ledgendary Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes
I get that forums should have some sort of relief but counting from 1-100 or A-Z doesn't seem like it offers anything meaningful to me.

Something like How was your day thread is something relaxing to have and it would add something better to the forum than just counting from 1-100.
Everything does not have to be meaningful, at least on forums or even on social media. Forums are used by common people and they don't always have expertise to share useful and interesting information. Having this kind of threads drive activities.

Good-Person

Ledgendary Member
Verified Poster
BizNotes

I think that spamming is bad for many reasons. It could have a bad effect on the forum because the advertising networks usually do not like a website where spamming is a main issue. Having original content is the key to generate advertising revenue.

Ravenfreak

Familiar Face
Verified Poster
BizNotes
I usually don't have forum games count towards my forum's post count. It definitely comes off as spamming if the admin is constantly doing this every single hour, and not letting their members post. Even if the admin isn't the only one contributing to the forum, if there's no other content being posted it definitely comes off as spamming IMO. It doesn't look good for the forum, and could potentially affect your member count.